• Register Today It's free!

'92 A4LD Kickdown Cable q's

pugsy

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4 (4 door)
I noticed that the kickdown cable was disconnected from my gas pedal and that it has a ton of slack (so much that if I reconncect it, nothing would happen). Upon further investigation, the housing tube for the kickdown cable is all rusted out and broken, that's why there's so much slack, as the wire is supposed to pull on the tab on the tranny but with the lack of the hard housing in place, there's just a loose wire.

To the tranny guru's out there....is it necessary to replace the kickdown cable? I've been driving for God knows how long now without it. Shifting and kickdown is fine. Will it affect/hurt/stress the tranny more with out it? It's obviosly there for a reason?

Where can you get a replacement and how do you go about replacing it as well as adjusting it? Or should I just leave it as is?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a small tab at the base of the piece which connects to the firewall (frame) of the vehicle. Press this tab, and pull up on the cable. Go inside, and step on the throttle pedal. You will hear a ratchet sound. It's now adjusted! This is a simple procedure which takes less than a minute to do.

What do you mean "pull up on the cable"? The cable runs inside the housing and the housing is rigid.

Any advice on changing it out? Right now, I can't adjust it as there's about a 1 foot strech where the hard housing is missing - there's no tension on the cable.

I have some pictures in a thread in # 19 in my list of useful threads. I'll put a few of them on here for you to get an idea of what the cable looks like.
IMG_2558.jpg

tvcable003zc1.jpg

tvcable004xm0.png

I'm okay in term's of the pics. I read the post and didn't really get what I'm looking for.

What I need to know is how to change the cable. Does the D Flat adjustment piece just snap out of the firewall? What about the piece that attaches to the tranny - a simple snap?

Also...do you know of any problems if I just leave it disconnected? It hasn't been connected since I've had it (3 years) and who knows how long before that.

Thanks for the help!!

Back