'92 Ex - Major Rust Repair Underway | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'92 Ex - Major Rust Repair Underway

Hi all, I have been busy working away at getting rid of the rust on the old beast. Here are some pics of the work on the drivers side. First it is hard to find good help.

P9290010.jpg

I said a spot weld!!
Also note the red fender, a friend had it painted for his ex years ago and never installed it. His explorer is gone and he just gave it to me!

P9290025.jpg

P9290024.jpg

Bottom of front door. There was a hole rusted right through as well as the entire bottom lip was starting to show signs of rust

P9290019.jpg

I cut off the inside part of the lip just above the bottom of the door. I could then use a flapper wheel to clean the area. Because the lip is now gone I spot welded along the bottom to hold the door skin in place.

P9290021.jpg

Repair to the body mount under the drivers floor boards. The bottom was rusted right out so I cut it out and welded in a new piece.

P9290018.jpg

Full rocker and backing replacement

P9290017.jpg

P9290013.jpg

P9290015.jpg

Dog leg replaced. Still need to fill in the back of the leg

P9290011.jpg

Wheel well repaired. I had cut most of the lip out and some of the inner wheel well. I hammered the the inner wheel back out to the quarter panel and welded it in place. I then welded in the flex edge to create a new lip. The lip is now single ply so I hope that will prevent it from rusting again.

Thanks for looking!!
See next post for passenger side...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics of Passenger side

I have just started cutting away the rust from the passenger side, it is actually just a little better than the drivers side!

P9290030.jpg

P9290027.jpg

Wheel well, quarter panel.

P9290029.jpg

Rocker

P9290028.jpg

Rocker/Dog Leg

I know there is some good steel on this somewhere, it just takes a bunch of cutting back to find it.

looks like your on the right track, looks good. I had the same rust damage on my 95, I cheated and took the easy way out with a new body. Keep going looks good so far.

Dont'cha love salt! Lookin good! What are you gonna coat with? Are those replacement rockers from LMC / Victoria Brittish?

Dont'cha love salt! Lookin good! What are you gonna coat with? Are those replacement rockers from LMC / Victoria Brittish?

I am going to coat it with asphalt undercoating for the underside and rubberized rocker guard for the visible parts. As well as seam sealer wherever required.
I picked up the replacement panels from a Walkers Auto-body, just a local shop in the city. I am going to check out LMC as I still have to buy the passenger side panels.

These first gens seem to have problems with the rocker panels rotting away. From the salt water and hitting rocks, my pass. side is nearly gone. I'm just going to cheat and float some rustoleum in there.

My '91 is doing the same thing on both sides of the side panels. Shy of replacing the entire truck, what is the best way to get rid of the rust spots, and my rear wheel wells are doing the same thing, rusting on top. I am not a welder, nor do we have one.

Back