• Register Today It's free!

92 explorer no start

924dr4x4

Reaction score
City, State
philly,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt 4 door 4x4
ok,im usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out,but im stumped,i think my engine mighta locked up,it happened thursday,truck drove fine all day to work,home,my friends shop to get parts for my mustang,to my sons doctors appt.,after that we stopped at wawa for something to drink and gas,after i was done,went to start the truck,it cranked really slow,then just stopped,battery tested good,i put in a new starter on friday,did the solenoid on the fender today,all wires are good,fuses are good,anything else or do you's think the engine locked up also?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also shoulda put this,after it stopped crankin it just did a single click,like it was the solenoid,so i did the starter,then the solenoid today,checked over all the positive and negative cables,everything is tight,still just a single click,and i can barely turn the crank by hand

sorry I didnt scroll down and see you said you could barely turn it over by hand

so when you checked starter did you jump power to it and it didnt want to turn the motor over?

i tried a 65 series battery out of my work van,i tried jumpin the starter and the solenoid,neither worked,it could be the crank positioning sensor or engine took a dump

im sure you have already checked but what about a loose ground wire

I had a 70s ford that was doing pretty much the same thing and i couldnt figure out why it wasnt starting and i decided to try running a ground wire from the fender to the engine and it started right up, just throwing out ideas.:dunno:

ill try it,but i dunno,thanks

also shoulda put this,after it stopped crankin it just did a single click,like it was the solenoid,so i did the starter,then the solenoid today,checked over all the positive and negative cables,everything is tight,still just a single click,and i can barely turn the crank by hand

pull the plugs and try turning the crank by hand.

are there any codes??

when you try to crank it with the starter...how many amps does it take??

No idea but maybe its the spark plugs or ignition coil, or maybe a problem with the computer. Because I had the same problem with my 93 ranger, sounds about the same symptoms I can't remember what we did but it was either the computer or the ignition coils.

I say ignition coils because my ranger was the 2.3 I4

Good luck

If jumping the solenoid doesn't get the motor to turn over, a sensor or computer isn't your problem. I would lean towards a bad starter if the battery is good and connections are solid.

Assuming the motor itself isn't seized...

Try applying 12V from a good battery directly to the starter terminals. You may be able to use jumper cables for this. You may want to remove the starter entirely (it's easy) for easier access. I would bet you have a bad or seized starter motor, but hit it with the juice and see what it does. If it works out of the car but doesn't when you put it in, it may be too weak or there is a bad connection.

Try pulling the plugs out and use a socket and long bar to turn the crank pulley bolt; you should be able to get the engine to turn over without too much effort. Otherise consider internal mechanical failure.

Some other things to consider...

Voltage drop test the battery cables, put the DVOM on voltage and measure between the end of each cable while cranking, there shouldn't be more than 1ish volts. The cables tend to corrode internally, I've had this problem. You should also measure between the block and the large positive cable while cranking. (see what voltage the starter is getting)

Check the accessories - take the belt off and make sure they all turn freely. I remember someone here had a problem when their P/S pump failed.

Also, don't be afraid to suspect the "new" starter.

the starter actually locked up,unlike my last explorer when my soleniod went on the firewall and was even trying to crank the truck as i was driving,and almost caught fire,but the terminals were bad,and tips of wire had a bit of corrosion and were replaced

Back