'92 Explorer XLT 4x4 Auto Trans Blowing T'fluid out bottom of tranny in 1" wide strea | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'92 Explorer XLT 4x4 Auto Trans Blowing T'fluid out bottom of tranny in 1" wide strea

Chuck

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer 4x4 XLT
A couple of weeks ago my Exp. started flushing transmission fluid about 1 1/2 quarts each time. The trnasmission continued to shift smoothly. After adding sufficient fluid, I could drive for a 100 miles or so and it would not flush. Then it would. This morning, the transmission slipped in forward a couple of times because I hadn't seen that it had flushed some fluid. After adding 1 1/2 quarts, it shifts fine. :fire: Thank you for your advice !!!

Originally posted by Chuck
A couple of weeks ago my Exp. started flushing transmission fluid about 1 1/2 quarts each time. The trnasmission continued to shift smoothly. After adding sufficient fluid, I could drive for a 100 miles or so and it would not flush. Then it would. This morning, the transmission slipped in forward a couple of times because I hadn't seen that it had flushed some fluid. After adding 1 1/2 quarts, it shifts fine. :fire: Thank you for your advice !!!

It could be a number of things. Look under your truck and see if you can find any areas where your tranny seems to be leaking from. It could be the front, rear, or selector shaft seal. Also check your pan see if that is leaking.

Tranny leak site

Thank you very much for your reply!!

I can not determine from where it is leaking. It is not the pan. By the time I crawl under the Exp., it has stopped leaking.

Other suggestions? Thanks, again !!

Chuck

Chuck,

My '93 lost fluid out the seals on the output shaft housing. The bolts came loose between the housing and the transfer case. My trans lost all the fluid...which is a bit more severe. Just thought it could be something to check.

I had a new gasket installed and filled it up with fluid...it worked great. My trans had 160K on it before it was rebuilt.

Back