• Register Today It's free!

92 Navajo Engine Rebuild

Haskins.jj

Reaction score
City, State
West TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Mazda Navajo
I'm considering looking for a used engine and getting a rebuild kit to rebuild it myself. That way I can still have my Navajo as my daily driver for now. I've never done any engine work but I figure I'll never know anything until I dive in. Any suggestions? Is it just a bad idea? I'm 'mechanically inclined' I've just never had the time or money to do any major work until now. How long would it roughly take if I am spending weekends on it?

yup... being 'that new guy' but I gotta start somewhere.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as you take your time and read lots of "how to's" and watch lots of YouTube videos, you should be just fine. That's how I first learned.

If you've got the funds and an unrestricted timeline and want to gain some knowledge... go for it. It's a great learning experience. First thing you'll want to do is scout out a good engine, preferably from a collision. If you're going to do a rebuild, it might be best to go with a 91-92 so you don't have all the emissions and extra goodies they slapped on then get new heads for it.

Get acquaninted with a machine shop, they'll be your best friend. You'll have to take the block, crank & camshafts there to get them checked out or get a new cam & lifter set. Definitely the crank & block you want to take in and have checked out. Definitely go new heads and quality gaskets. I've been thoroughly impressed with the Magnum series found on RockAuto & Amazon. Cloyes timing set, Melling high-flow oil pump, Ford OEM lifters, pushrods, rockers & rocker shaft.

You'll find a lot of advice here and these engines aren't insanely complex. Chances are, most any you find will be good for a rebuild, these blocks are indestructible, everything attached to the block ends up failing though. Kinda like Dodge trucks with a Cummins engine :)

If you got the tools and not afraid to get dirty its how I first learned about cars. Just do some research on what you plan to do then do it. I tell my son this all the time get a Haynes book read up on it. If special tools are needed get em then do it.

Are you thinking about tearing it down completely (removing crank, pistons and cam) or just gaskets and seals?

Haynes is always the first thing I pick up when I get a 'new' used vehicle. Saved me plenty of money over the years! Well thanks for the replies, I wasn't sure if a rebuild was a good route as a novice. I do plan on a complete rebuild, I'm actually wanting to completely restore my Navajo. I'll be moving cross country though here in about 5 months, I'm leaving the Army to pursue a degree as a mechanical engineer. So it might actually be a good experience once I get settled down, and a good hobby to provide relief from college. Another question though, is there any significant benefit to going with the SOHC 4.0 over the pushrod 4.0? I knew the basic mechanics of how conventional combustion engines worked but had to surf YouTube to learn the real difference. Would I even be able to drop the SOHC into a 92 Navajo without causing more strain than benefit? And what years are compatible engine-wise?
Thanks,
Josh

Oh and natenkiki2004, thanks for your owners manual upload, I downloaded it as soon as I found this forum!

The SOHC is technically better, more & more complex engine designs produce more power and are more efficient but can be a real turd to work on. The major shortcoming of the SOHC are the timing chains. Typically when the rear one goes bad, people scrap the entire vehicle. You can probably find piles of SOHC engines with timing rattle in junkyards.

I don't know that I'd go with one, I like simplicity of the OHV but that's just me. Especially when you consider all the bolt-on items that are on newer vehicles. The 1991-1992 don't have a lot of things like cam sensor, EGR system, & others. The SOHC has 3 timing chains, OHV has 1. SOHC has 2 cams, OHV has 1. For a first-timer, the OHV will be simpler and cheaper to rebuild and you know that it fits your vehicle.

Haynes/Chilton are a decent start but if you're diving into it, definitely grab the Factory Service Manual and even more.

You're welcome for the manual :) Not many people have spoke up about it but I hope it's helped a few.

Back