92 ranger- 93 explorer injectors the same? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 ranger- 93 explorer injectors the same?

charles88tc

Reaction score
City, State
Dahlonega Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer Sport
Its been a while since I have posted here, mainly due to the heat I havent been able to work on my 93 explorer that I am swapping in a 92 4.0 from a 4 wheel drive ranger. The engines both look identical, until you look at the fuel injectors. The ones on the ranger motor, are all black, and the ones from my explorer motor are silver (aluminum) with red tops. Are these the same size injectors? or should I go ahead and mount up the extra mass air sensor I got with the new motor, or swap injectors from old motor to the new one? What do you guys think. This is my first complete motor swap, my brother helped me get it out on sunday. Boy was that a mess. About a month and a half ago I started unbolting things getting ready for removal, and thought I had all the bell housing bolts loose, little did I know. I couldnt find or see the ones on the side. I had to take off the upper intake to get to the ones on top. We had the cherry picker all hooked up and the motor would not break free. Then we were like dangit more bolts, after we found the last 2 it separated very easy. -

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IF I remember correctly, the Injectors themselves are the same BUT the wiring to them is different..

1992 are Multipoint fuel injection and 1993+ are Sequential fuel injection.

The MFI fire all injectors at once (thats why all the wires look the same) and the SFI have different color wires going to each injector..

Hopefully someone else confirm what I "think" I remember or tell me I'm all wrong.. (its possible, but I pretty sure the injectors themselves are the same).

~Mark

So if this is true, I could not use the wiring harness from the ranger, nevermind I cant use it any way, it only had 1 o2 sensor, and my explorer has 2. Answered my own question.

Ive been told from a fairly reliable source from another board that they should be the same. My source tells me that the all black injectors "might" be replacements.

Maniak said:
IF I remember correctly, the Injectors themselves are the same BUT the wiring to them is different..

1992 are Multipoint fuel injection and 1993+ are Sequential fuel injection.

The MFI fire all injectors at once (thats why all the wires look the same) and the SFI have different color wires going to each injector..

Hopefully someone else confirm what I "think" I remember or tell me I'm all wrong.. (its possible, but I pretty sure the injectors themselves are the same).

~Mark

BUMP, Anyone care to confirm? Just for future reference.

Back