92 Tranny compatible with 94 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Tranny compatible with 94 Explorer

Trckmagik

Ole Bag
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Celina, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
As the subject states. Should I be worried about trying to install a 1992 Transmission in my 1994 ford Explorer?
I know there are some tranny guru's out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you know what the '92 transmission came out of? If the '92 was taken from behind another 4.0 L engine, it shouldn't be a problem. If it was taken from any other engine, it may not bolt up, or it may be built weaker than the 4.0 A4LD.

As Mrshorty ^ Said It Should Work As long as Its A 4.0 a4ld , But ive also heard that the 2.9 Fuel injected BII is the same a4ld as most first gens , just weaker I heard , Good Luck With the Swap !

Auto or manual? If it's an auto there might have been some slight improvements from '92 to '94 but otherwise it should work fine. If it's a manual then the clutch and stuff is actually different from '92 to '94, but the good news is you can just use all '93-94 stuff (master/slave/clutch/etc) on a '91-92 tranny.

After that the only thing you need to worry about is the higher mileage an older tranny usually has, but a working one beats a non-working one.

92 explorer to 94 explorer. Tranny was rebuilt 5 years ago on a project that hasnt beeen driven a mile. Thanks for the replies.

Yeah it should work fine , i replaced my blown trans from a 93 to a 91 , myself , but i also had to swap the torque converter and the bell housing also , my torque converter was shot , it was sharp on the end and my bushing in the bell housing was shot , so i just swapped them out and its fine , I made over 1000 mile trip from northern Il to Middle Ga ! Good Luck Trckmagik Glad to see you back !

Back