92 XLT 4WD gas mileage problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 XLT 4WD gas mileage problem

Just a reminder---

Another informative thread...I love this board.

Anyway...
[I noticed that the screen on the MAF where it attaches to the air box was dirty, like soot. So I wiped it off with a clean towel. ]
If you're MAF was that dirty then it sounds like the FPR (check by pressure test) or what do you guys think about clogged cat? That was the cause of mine, but my CEL was on so I could pull the codes.

Also don't forget to reset the computer after changing/cleaning anything. The computer regulates the fuel/air mixture.
:chug:

Ive got a 92 4door 4wd also. I get about 18 mpg without Overdrive. With 185,000 miles and 31" i still get plenty of acceleration. THe only mod i have is a KKM filter. I change my oil every 3,000 using Mobil 1 10-30 and the Ford Motor Filter. Amsoil powerfoam once a year, Amsoil PI once a year. Clean MAF once a year and Chevron techtron fuel injector cleaner every oil change.

My moms 94 was running real rough so i took it for a weekend. So i played around for a weekend

1. Spray 2 cans of the Amsoil Power Foam, acording to instructions.

2. Clean MAF

3. Change Airfilter (she still has stock)

4. Change the Oil and filter

5. I changed the Plugs and wires while waiting for the oil to drain.

6. Dissconnected the battery while doin 4,5. with headlights on to makesure to dissapate any charge left

7. Check Tire Pressure

8. Put everything back together, And she ran almost good as new.

It took a few hours on the weekend but was fun and definatly worth it.

Oahrens, you're right. This site is excellent. A great place for a guy like me with little mechanical knowledge to go and ask seasoned mechanics questions and how-to tips.

Jiimi, thanks for the list of ideas. I'm a little behind on trying what others have suggested, but I'll take your list and try those items the first chance I get.

Thanks again:D

Back