Gas Mileage Problem

zkeeton

Reaction score
City, State
Fergus Falls, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hello Everyone!

My Dad has a 1997 Ford Explorer that has been giving him problems in the Gas Mileage department lately. My Dad's Explorer all of a sudden started getting 5 MPG for the Gas Mileage. He took it to a local mechanic and had them do a tune up for him. (Plugs, Wires, Fuel Filter, Air Filter, etc), but that didn't seem to do much for the MPG.

Then he started reading on the internet and someone suggested taking it in and having a valve cleaned. I forgot which valve he had them clean. Anyway, he did that and the MPG inproved to about 12 MPG, which is still low from his summertime averages of 19 - 21 MPG.

So the question is this; what else can he try to bring the MPG back up? The local Ford dealership doesn't seem to have much to offer, so I figured I would post on here to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks in Advance

Zach

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change the upstream o2 sensors.

Which engine does he have ohv or newer. Find out what valve he had cleaned.

Clean the MAF sensor and reset the computer and see if that helps.

Is his odometer working correctly? Does he have a small fuel leek, someone siphoning gas?

Are his shoes made of lead now?

Just kidding, but are his parking brakes on?

I just had the PCV valve changed with a Ford Original Part. The truck appeared to still have the original one in it. I have a Scanguage connected and the number were reading much better that day right after the change. We took it away for the weekend. On the return trip (Super Hwy 401) for those who know the area which 97% of the distance was on. We got 24MPG Hwy (Imperial Gal). Its been real crappy all winter and the air is still quite cool, 4-7C on the trip. Hope this helps some of you who have NOT change your valve. Get Her Done!!!

Back