92 XLT 4WD Pinging Issue Solved | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 XLT 4WD Pinging Issue Solved

cdarmy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XLT 4X4
This may help others that have been baffled by their engine pinging. I of course do all my own maintenance/repair/replacement work and sometime in the past few months I developed a pinging in Overdrive and low rpm/low throttle. I couldn't figure it out and read about cleaning the MAF and possibly the intake manifold bolts loosening. I cleaned the MAF although it didn't really need it and I wasn't about to clear off the top end to tighten up manifold bolts. So if you start with the basics you know that pinging is a result of a lean condition or timing. I thought maybe the crank sensor could be an issue but I had no code and it seemed to work fine all around. Well yesterday when I was changing out A/C parts and I took of the plastic intake hose that goes from the MAF to the intake port and happened to turn it over & I noticed cracks on the bottom nearer the MAF. If you think about it since it is AFTER the MAF your mixture would be LEAN since it is air being introduced that wasn't metered by the MAF. So I sealed it up with silicone and sure enough that fixed it. Hope that If anyone else has been scratching their heads, maybe this is your answer too.

Carmine

damm i gotta check mine ive been havin the same problem....

Back