92 XLT Intake Manifold Gaskets

qquake2k

Reaction score
City, State
Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Hi All,

My 92 Explorer has the dreaded pinging problem. I have replaced the IAC valve and MAF sensor. I replaced the plug wires and tried several different types of spark plugs (Autolite Platinum, Autolite regular, Bosch platinum, NGK V-Groove, and Champion truck plugs). I pulled the timing jumper, and run premium gas. It still pings, even in cool weather. Sometimes it's much worse than other times. But, it doesn't seem to ping as bad when it's raining (moisture in the air maybe?). The ping has been getting steadily worse over the last two years. As far as I can tell, it doesn't have an EGR valve, and if it does have a knock sensor, I can't find it.

I have decided to try changing the intake manifold gaskets. How big a job is it? Can I do it in a day, or will it take an entire weekend? I've been wrenching on my own vehicles since 1978, and have all the tools, including air tools. Anything I need to know about and/or watch out for? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Jim

I had a ping problem also, cleaned MAF, ran seafoam thru the brake vac hose, and disconnected the batter for several hours to reset the computer (don't know how long it needs but figured that would be long enough).

after reconnect, I tried to drive it so motor would lug, so the computer would see the worst case driving style, and program for it.

Back to running reg gas and no ping so far.

also a 92 xlt

Intake Gasket

This is my first post and im only 19 so spare me. I have a 93 explorer with the push rod engine. I had to take it down to the heads to get a broken spark plug out. I had the engine completely apart down to the heads in a few hours, the only issue is the mass of wires that connect all the fuel injectors. My pinging came from a sticking valve and bad seats. The upper intake is easy to get off. Down to the lower part the fuel rail is held on by studs with a little star bit on top, those seem to be really brittle so twist with care. I had one break off and fall into one of the cylinders. After that i believe its a 10 mm socket head and like 12 bolts the lower intake is easily taken off... rather that that its pretty routine. Its just those small studs that gave me a hard time. If your using a Haynes manual to pull it apart it says to torqe them down to like 140 lbs which is way to much.

Back