• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer engine in 94 Ranger

pgilbeau

Reaction score
City, State
Hawaii for now
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 and 96 Rangers
New to forum but here it goes. I have a 93 explorer 4x4 with the 4.0 engine, manual trans, and 1354 transfer. The body is pretty much shot but the engine was rebuilt 1000 miles ago. I am considering buying a 94 ranger 4x4 with 4.0 engine, manual trans, and 1354 transfer case. The ranger cranks but won't start and has no spark. The battery and starter have been replaced on the ranger, what our some other possible issues. If I swapped the engine from my explorer does anyone know if it will work right and will it possibly fix no spark/start issue. Any help would be appreciated

'91 to '94 4.0 long blocks are identical, so, worst case, you may have to strip the '93 down to the long block and install. However, I don't know that that would fix a no spark issue. Spark controlled electronically. Replacing the engine probably won't replace the component responsible for the no spark. Possible components are ICM, PCM, EEC power supply, grounds, coil pack, CKP, and so on.

1st thing I'd probably do would be to pull codes from the computer. Some no starts due to no spark will leave clues in CM as to why there is no spark.

Thanks, mostly had been thinking about swapping the longblock due to the fact I just rebuilt mine. I understand it won't fix the other issue, thanks for the tips.

Back