• Register Today It's free!

93 explorer wont start

tomc1980

Reaction score
City, State
chattanooga tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 ford explorer
First off let me say i just found this site and im new here been reading all the posts for about 2 days or so. I recently bought a new battery for the 93 explorer i have and it was starting great. I went out to start it this morning and when i turn the key over i get a single click when i turn the key and nothing else. I checked the voltage on my battery and it is testing strong. Any suggestions on what i should be checking on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Generally this indicated a loose connection. Check both + and - terminals

Thanks for the info the battery cables are looking kinda ratty i guess i need to pick a set up. Never replaced em before guess its time to learn how.

Actually, they are weakest link. Could be what caused your battery to go. Make sure you have a good clean spot when reconnecting the ground cable. Our Ex's like to use power, and the batt cables corrode from inside out, so if they look ratty- change them.
I have an old International tractor that from time to time we have to turn the neg connector to get a good ground, it vibrates loose at battery!

Funny thing is the battery is testing good. Its got juice in it but for some reason it doesnt seem to be getting where it needs to go.

Yep. Battery will stay good as long as you aren't making good connection to use it!
If cables are tight at battery, check tightness of pos at starter solenoid and at starter. then check neg cable for tightness on block. While you are at solenoid, make sure your small wire isn't gunked up

History on a '94 with a "won't crank" issue:

For two days, I noticed that starter seemed to crank very slowly/weakly.
On third day, just a click. Thought it was a battery problem, and when jumped with another battery, it started just fine.
Replaced battery on day four, to no effect. Just a click.
On day five, removed starter motor and took to shop for testing. Starter tested good.
Reinstalled starter.
Found insulation damage on positive cable where it rubbed on intake tube. Exposed copper was visibly corroded. Replaced positive cable. Still just a click. No crank.
Replaced starter relay because that was the only thing left in the circuit, other than the negative cable. Still just a click.
Went and bought a new starter motor, which solved the problem. While walking into the store to buy it (same store where I had the old tested originally) I saw a note on the door - "no tests, equipment broken". In fiddling with the old starter, my impression was that it had a bad solenoid and was not a problem with the actual motor.

If you are getting the starter relay click (bolted to side of engine compartment, just rearward from battery) but no noise from starter, then check your voltmeter. If the meter drop a lot while you hold the key in the start position, I'd say replace the whole starter. If not, and you have already replaced the positive cable to the starter, then it just about has to be the starter solenoid, which can be purchased/replaced separately from the motor.

Yeah im leaning towards the starter myself replaced the starter relay still click. New Battery still click. Only thing left i can think of is the starter or the battery cables. So i gonna pull the starter tomorrow and have it tested. Thanks for all the replies hope i get this fixed asap lol dont like not driving my explorer.

Well as it turns out it was my starter. A few well placed taps with a hammer and it fired right up went to advanced auto to get a new starter tonight gonna put it on tomorrow. Thanks guys for all the advice.

sounds to me like there is a bad connection. check the starter relay its like this thing right next to the bat. between the bat and fuse box. sometimes brown or black. maybe shot. or a bad shortout in the engine compartment. loose or bad bat terminals.

Starter relay was replaced yesterday the starter just gave up the ghost. At least the starters easy enough to get to.

Back