93 Explorer XLT, that whining noise :/ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer XLT, that whining noise :/

Russyofthedead

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT
so ive searched around a bit and found some small amounts of info, some of which were threads from this site, but since i didnt exactly find what i was looking for i figured i would post.

My explorer makes a high pitched whine as it hits 35mph and above, as with most of the posts i read, i can say that the transmission is shifting smoothly and that from what i can tell has nothing to do with the whine, to be honest i dont have any kind of issues that i can tell, other than the sound it accelerates smoothly, idles fine, starts up fine, when parked i have no whining or ticking, needless to say for an old explorer, it runs like a champ, aside from the awful whining in the engine compartment. Ive read that this could be the "alternator whine", as far as i can tell everything is getting the right voltage, although the previous owner did put in a cd player, and i can only imagine knowing them it was probably put in without professional help, and possibly even rigged somehow.

any thoughts or ideas will help, as im not to great in the automotive department, aside from a few things.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 91 whines, but its coming from the cat.

Rusty, does the whine change in pitch (frequency) as you change engine and/or road speed? Alternator whine will, bearing noise may or may not. Does turning various accessories on and off make it change any - pitch or loudness? All these are clues, which may help narrow down the cause.

Alternator, belt, tensionor, rear end, or trans. All sources of whine.
Shift into N when it's doing it. See if it goes away.

Check the power steering pump too...those early 90's Ford power steering pumps just whine...they tend to do it all the time, but I notice mine most when accelerating from 40 to highway speeds...that seems to be when it's the loudest. If that's the case (if it is your powersteering pump), I wouldn't bother with it, as there's nothing wrong with it, that's just how they are...I replaced mine because the reservoir was leaking and the new pump sounds the same.

Back