Whining Noise Coming From Dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whining Noise Coming From Dash

MirrorrorriM

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had to post up a question for my girlfriend's truck. Shes got a 1991 ford explorer 4 door, 4x4, with I think the 4.0 sohc motor.

Periodically, when you are driving, there is this high pitched whining noise that comes from the driver's side dashboard. It is there about 80% of the time and increases with RPM and is only there when the radio or CD is on. When you turn that off, it goes away altogether. I suspect because of that it has something to do with one of the speakers in that area.

Any ideas on where to start?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

radio interference... try new spark plugs ......

our chevy 1500 does it to...it comes from the rear speaker and when you floor it the noise get louder...spark plugs....

Or wires, if it's a '91 it probably could use new on both counts. Also on/near the coil pack there should me a small capacitor that is used to dampen the radio interference, so you might want to make sure that's in place as well.

Pat

Thanks guys, I'll take a look into the plugs and wires this weekend, and like you said Pat, I'm sure that it's about time for a tuneup anyhow haha.

Yeah, I'm needing to do plugs and wires on my rig as well, I just keep putting it off because that back passenger plug looks like a real PITA to replace. I'm half tempted to take it in, but I have this issue with having someone else do routine mantainence on my rigs. :D

Pat

As do I. I myself own a Camaro, and I won't let a mechanic near it unless what needs to be done is totally out of my hands, which so far, hasn't been the case. But I know what you mean.

As far as getting the plugs out on these trucks, what would you say would be the easiest way to get to them? From the top or from the bottom?

EDIT
And that bad plug on the back passenger side, what is it that is keeping you from getting a wrench in there? I've worked in some cramped areas before on previous cars. Did you try getting a socket with a hex back and use a smaller crescent wrench to turn it? Worked for me on my old FWD lebaron, who's back plugs were essentially 2" from the firewall.

The back plug on the passenger side you have to get to by going underneath the fender. Start by turning you wheels all the way to the left. You should be able to find a small access hole. I used a universal swivel and a long extension with my rachet to get to the plug. It will bring you up to the plug by going underneath the a/c unit. Good luck.

Back