'93 x with a '92 4.0 injector question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 x with a '92 4.0 injector question

MindBender0001

Reaction score
City, State
Pateros, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer
I ordered injectors from rock auto and come to find out, the engine is from a '92. Don't know why, but there is a difference between '92 and '93. Turns out there's also different injectors between those years as well.

'93: p/n 6MFI693
'92: p/n 6MFI694

Since I didn't discover this year-gap-issue until elbow deep into replacing the idler and tensioner, and I already HAVE the '93 injectors, will they work?

Thanks in advance
-Bender

I looked into it a little. There is a part number difference, but unless someone more knowledgeable chimes in, I'm thinking it will probably work alright.

I believe between 92 and 93 the fuel injection changed from a batch fire to true sequential fire. This increased power and fuel economy a bit. While either system should be able to run the same injectors, I am guessing that perhaps the fuel injector design changed as well. Older Ford EV1 style injectors like this usually had a single injector hole for a simple cone shaped flow pattern. I know by 94 they were using the updated 4-hole injectors, and I think they did in 93 as well so chances are that was the changeover year. Other than the nozzle I believe the injectors are identical and should interchange; however I would personally run all of the same type injectors in the vehicle if possible.

I do have six new injectors. This whole thing has been a 'while I'm in there' kind of job. If one broke, the others MAY, and this can't do anything but help. Got the socket on its way.

Back