Work in progress, TONS of pics. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Work in progress, TONS of pics.

looks rediculously good.. i just repainted my calipers and thought that was hard enough work... i cant even imagine how long it took u to tape off the ALLEN letters and paint that up... nice work and i cant wait to see some videos of some action

Yes time consuming. You have no idea how many times I looked at the SC and dreaded the job.. I finally said... all this thinking and I could have been done... so I picked up and made it happen.

I'm looking at my calipers everyday saying the same thing... lol I feel like painting my front upper control arms also, and my rear diff cover, blue of course.

Enjoy these pics:

Intakepaint1.jpg

Intakepaint2.jpg

Intakepaint3.jpg

Intakepaint6.jpg

Intakepaint4.jpg

Intakepaint5.jpg

Plenumpaint1.jpg

Plenumpaint2.jpg

Plenumpaint3.jpg

The "Intercooled supercharged" part I did free hand.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, ok I didn't realize you still have 30's in there. Ok, now I see your reasoning for having to move to bigger squirters. In that case it is best that you move straight to the 60's for future growth. They 60's aren't hard to tune in a daily driver and that way you don't have to mess with as much when upgrading the blower, so good thinking.

Alex, you got to remember that I am running a different supercharger which places my drive snout higher than yours. I just went to my local Gates dealer and bought 3 belts around the measurement that I took with a flexible tape measure. I fitted each one of them till one fit and then went from there. I also have adjustable idler pullies so if I have a slightly loose or tight belt I can relocate those a little and get the correct tension I need. Just get the right size and you will not have a problem getting it tight enough without coming close to the 8.5" damper.

Yes I will have way less work when my 2300 goes on.

I know your blower snout is much higher, but I meant the space between the tensioner and the dampener... we should have the same there. But your tight.. the belt should be alright.

Yes I will have way less work when my 2300 goes on.

I know your blower snout is much higher, but I meant the space between the tensioner and the dampener... we should have the same there. But your tight.. the belt should be alright.

Just get the correct size belt and you shouldn't have a problem. Mine isn't that close to the damper IIRC. Maybe I will get off my lazy butt, go outside and look to make sure.

Just get the correct size belt and you shouldn't have a problem. Mine isn't that close to the damper IIRC. Maybe I will get off my lazy butt, go outside and look to make sure.

I just measured mine and I have under 1/2 inch between the tensioner pulley and the dampener.

I just measured mine and I have under 1/2 inch between the tensioner pulley and the dampener.

Don't worry about it. I just checked mine to take a look at what you are talking about and all I have is about 1/2"-3/4" clearance also. It is not a problem as the tensioner is swinging parallel to the crank pulley so it will not get any closer.

Don't worry about it. I just checked mine to take a look at what you are talking about and all I have is about 1/2"-3/4" clearance also. It is not a problem as the tensioner is swinging parallel to the crank pulley so it will not get any closer.

Right...

But I wasn't worried about the pulleys hitting each other...

I don't know if the tensioner can be pulled down far enough to get a good tight belt on. I notched the stop on the tensioner so I could squeeze on a super tight belt on with the old dampener. I was able to bring the tensioner waaaaay far down and get a super tight belt on.

How are you idlers adjustable? You always have tricks up your sleeves ;) Your new nickname is Macgyver.

macgyver.jpg

Right...

But I wasn't worried about the pulleys hitting each other...

I don't know if the tensioner can be pulled down far enough to get a good tight belt on. I notched the stop on the tensioner so I could squeeze on a super tight belt on with the old dampener. I was able to bring the tensioner waaaaay far down and get a super tight belt on.

How are you idlers adjustable? You always have tricks up your sleeves ;) Your new nickname is Macgyver.

macgyver.jpg

At full tension you will want your tensioner arm to be in the middle of its sweep range. This will ensure good tension and also not maxxing out and putting too much pressure on the arm and spring so as to cause breakage. Like I said, all of this can be taken care of with a properly sized belt.

I like to have options. Whenever I make something I always try to incorporate some adjustability or modular-like design. In the Kenne Bell's case the front idler plate comes with multiple threaded holes for the idlers to screw into at different locations. I also have the Gripper plate on there to give my snout pulley extra belt wrap so as to prevent slippage. That has a few holes on it too for adjustability. The good thing about this is that it gives me enough adjustability where I can repulley from a 3.5" to a 2.75" blower pulley and not need another belt.

I have also thought about machining a simple pivot system where I would only have to turn one bolt and have it tension the upper idler assembly to whatever I want it to be. This would allow me to swap pullies without even messing with the idlers. I will tackle that when I am done with some "other things" that are about to be on my plate real soon.

At full tension you will want your tensioner arm to be in the middle of its sweep range. This will ensure good tension and also not maxxing out and putting too much pressure on the arm and spring so as to cause breakage. Like I said, all of this can be taken care of with a properly sized belt.

I like to have options. Whenever I make something I always try to incorporate some adjustability or modular-like design. In the Kenne Bell's case the front idler plate comes with multiple threaded holes for the idlers to screw into at different locations. I also have the Gripper plate on there to give my snout pulley extra belt wrap so as to prevent slippage. That has a few holes on it too for adjustability. The good thing about this is that it gives me enough adjustability where I can repulley from a 3.5" to a 2.75" blower pulley and not need another belt.

I have also thought about machining a simple pivot system where I would only have to turn one bolt and have it tension the upper idler assembly to whatever I want it to be. This would allow me to swap pullies without even messing with the idlers. I will tackle that when I am done with some "other things" that are about to be on my plate real soon.

I have seen the Gripper plate. Thats cool because you can put more surface contact on the blower pulley.

I like what you said about machining a pivot system. It would be awesome if you could turn that bolt while the belt is already on to tighten the belt more.

Well I just went and pulled the tensioner down to see how far it would actually go down. To my surprise it didn't hit the dampener.... Just by eye balling it I thought for sure it was going to hit.... It came about 1mm close but it cleared it, awesome!!! That really worried me.

Your Gripper comment gave me an idea ;) Right below on the left of my blower pulley I have a small idler, im going to switch it out with one of the bigger idles on the other side, to give my blower pulley a bigger contact area. Theres 1/2'' difference in size between the two.

I saw some video on the Gripper befores and afters.... that extra grip helped retain 2-3psi up top, very cool.

I still like your pivot idea. Do you mean being able to "tension" while the belt is on?

Well I just went and pulled the tensioner down to see how far it would actually go down. To my surprise it didn't hit the dampener.... Just by eye balling it I thought for sure it was going to hit.... It came about 1mm close but it cleared it, awesome!!! That really worried me.

Your Gripper comment gave me an idea ;) Right below on the left of my blower pulley I have a small idler, im going to switch it out with one of the bigger idles on the other side, to give my blower pulley a bigger contact area. Theres 1/2'' difference in size between the two.

I saw some video on the Gripper befores and afters.... that extra grip helped retain 2-3psi up top, very cool.

I still like your pivot idea. Do you mean being able to "tension" while the belt is on?

Yeah, I have hit 20 psi steadily on quite few occasions with my truck and it never lost grip so far. It will usually spike up to about 16-17 psi right away and then creep up another pound or two.

The pivoting idler assembly would not really be for tensioning purposes as you already have something for that. Its purposes would be more for ease of placement of your idler pulleys for different belt lengths when changing supercharger pulleys.

Getting through the electrical. Fun fun :rolleyes:

There is not one wire im not soldering and covering with adhesive lining shrink wrap... no crimp connectors and no electrical tape, anywhere.

Electrical4.jpg

Electrical3.5.jpg

Electrical1-1.jpg

Electrical1.5.jpg

Electrical2.jpg

Eletrical4.5.jpg

wow i love the detail your putting into this..

this is amazing

btw do you have any pics with a grille over those lights bc ive always wanted to know what an ex would look like with those

Where is your radiator at? I cannot see it in that pic.

It's at the welder. I'm putting in a petcock on the bottom so I can drain the water without making a mess... :)

wow i love the detail your putting into this..

this is amazing

btw do you have any pics with a grille over those lights bc ive always wanted to know what an ex would look like with those

Thanks...

Here you go:

DSC00044.jpg

It's at the welder. I'm putting in a petcock on the bottom so I can drain the water without making a mess... :)

It didn't come with a little drain nozzle on there already? Strange

It didn't come with a little drain nozzle on there already? Strange

nooo... My factory one I think had one. I got the summit.. I didnt even bother to look into that when I bought it.

Great stuff Alex, we are all enjoying the fine work here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks awesome and i never noticed the lights mounted under the grille there... nice fabrication... truck is rediculously clean and nice work so far... looks like uve got ur hands full with the electrical so good luck

Back