• Register Today It's free!

93 XLT Starts but stalls

n0c7

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
1993 Ford Explorer XLT. Will start up without an issue but idles about 3000-4000rpm and I can hear a whining, then the RPM's drop and the engine stalls. I can start it up again no problem but it will continue to do the same thing. This is from a cold start. I can keep it running if I give some throttle when the RPM's drop but as soon as I don't it stalls. Any help appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1993 Ford Explorer XLT. Will start up without an issue but idles about 3000-4000rpm and I can hear a whining, then the RPM's drop and the engine stalls. I can start it up again no problem but it will continue to do the same thing. This is from a cold start. I can keep it running if I give some throttle when the RPM's drop but as soon as I don't it stalls. Any help appreciated.

fuel pressure problem?

Unplug the mass air flow meter and start it and see if that helps. If it does then you have a bad mass air flow meter.

It ended up being a vacuum leak. After a few starts it started idling really low in and up and down pattern. Sprayed around and found a cap missing and a loose hose side by side. Go figure. :) Quick and easy fix. Thanks for the tips.

I had a thread for this same problem about 2 weeks ago. I was told its fairly common so you may want to keep a few extra caps in the glove box.

I had a thread for this same problem about 2 weeks ago. I was told its fairly common so you may want to keep a few extra caps in the glove box.

Still kind of wondering where it went, as the fitting was pulling and not pushing.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187198

That was my thread. The engine is running the same as always. Here is what I think happened to mine and probably yours:
That leakage is very common with the 4.0 OHV V6. The slightest backfire(not loud), just a cough backwards through the intake, will blow off one or more of the vacuum plugs or hoses. I carried a few spare plugs in my 93 Explorer, it would do that at start up about once a month. I always was able to find the missing plug, except once. Good luck,

Back