94/01 Explorer Sport vs. Bronco

Not Yet

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 F-150, '76 Bronco
Howdy:

I'm not an Explorer owner (at least "Not Yet"), but I may be if Ford doesn't bring back a capable version of the Bronco. I am currently selling a 90 Bronco II and own a 78 Big Bronco; the Big Bronco is killing me for mileage, and I hate the idea of having a truck "just for play." I (unrealistically, maybe) just have to believe that a person can strike the perfect balance between daily driver and trail rig...but you have to start with the right rig, and I'm a short-wheelbase Ford (i.e., Bronco) guy!

IF I decide to go Explorer Sport, what are the pros and cons between going with say a 94 (early version) and a brand new one, say 2001? I want to build the rig to be tough as nails on the trail (fairly balanced but definately able to crawl rocks) but still give me 15+ average MPG on the road. My thoughts so far:

94:

+ Cheaper, so I could spend more money up front on mods and not have to worry about warranties.
+ I like the idea of a Dana 35 TTB up front (yes, I REALLY want a solid Dana 44) instead of independent/torsion bar. Is this also easier and cheaper to (suspension) lift? I figure I'd run a 4" suspension lift with 33" tires.
+ Available manual tranny (so I can swap it for an NV4500 when I put in the 302 and NP205 or Atlas transfer case!).
- 6 year-old truck.
- Finding a really nice one, and worrying what the previous owner didn't tell me.
- Mods will be pricey, since I'd love to go with 5.0L engine, NV4500 HD 5-speed and NP205 (is this possible?) or Atlas gear-driven transfer case conversions, in addition to the usual suspension lift, tires, wheels, gears, lockers, etc.

01:

+ A brand new (01) one would give me peace of mind...straight from factory, warranty, I'm the original owner, etc. Assumedly more reliable.
+ Better stock engine (SOHC).
+ Possible manual tranny available in fall 2000 (according to Kelley website- kbb.com).
- Independent/torsion bar front suspension...tougher and more expensive to lift?
- No money for up-front mods after buying brand new truck.
- Possible warranty violations.
- Unwillingness to make engine/tranny/transfer case mods on a brand new truck...probably wait several years.

Forgive me for thinking out loud, but this is a cool forum, and I'm sure you folks have some good input for me. Thanks!

------------------
78 Bronco

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, were manual transfer cases/manual locking hubs available on 94's?

You mentioned every reason for why I'm keeping my 94.

Yes Warn Hub's ( Manual ) are available. Not sure about the T-Fer case, but a swap is in my future so I'm not to worried about it.
Advanced Adapters have kits to fit most anything, got there catalog yesterday.

I like the fact that lift kits are available for the pre 95's

Good luck with your choice.

------------------
Rob Robertson
94 XLT 4X4 4 door
"It's an Explorer Thing, you wouldn't understand"

There was a manual T-case for the 94. 95+ they stopped makeing the manual t-case.

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
1992 Navajo Lx 5-speed
attemptimg 4x4 convertion
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

How plentiful are the manual t-case/hubs out there? I have a bad feeling that most people went with the auto system back then...I've had bad luck with it/them on my 90 Bronco II.

As with the above people, I own a first gen explorer (1991 XL). I would have to say that the first gen's are clear winners. Their parts are easier to deal with, etc, IMO.

1) They really aren't that expensive.

2) Engine swaps are easier to deal with. Kits are available, and if you have emissions laws where engine swaps must use a newer engine, you will be able to use a 91+ 302 as opposed to a brand new one.

3) Their are plenty of lift kits and accessories out there. Anywhere from 1" to 6" and more possibilities in the custom area.

4) You mention the problems with buying a used explorer, such as how it was taken care of. Well, if you swap engine, which you mention, and add a lift you take out all the old crap. You will basically have an all new engine, transmission, computer, transfer case, driveshafts, differentials, a lot of the suspension components, etc. Therefore, there isn't much to worry about as far as that stuff goes.

As far as the manual transmission, manual transfercase, manual hubs, I don't believe there were too many of those produced.

Manual transfer case was only availible 91-94, and then ONLY if you opted for a manual transmission. Ford manual hubs could only come with the manual transfer case. Possibilities are -

1) Manual transmission, manual transfer case, automatic hubs.
2) Manual transmission, manual transfer case, manual hub.

When the first explorers were marketed, the electronic transfer case was probably marketed more than anything else. The public (people who were'nt into 4x4)percieved it as a new, must have item, and in 1990 the trucks were basically sold on this point. Therefore, I can't believe too many manual versions were produced. I've only seen two of them before, among MANY explorers.

On the subject of price, manual transmission models are sooo much cheaper. The current SUV crowd doesn't seem to want anything manul on the car at all. I bought a low mileage 91 last year with a manual transmission (now we have two Dead Link Removed), and the person wanted 6,000 for it. He had been trying to sell it for months, and wasn't able to sell it to anyone because no one wanted the manual transmission.

Hope this helps

Back