94 4x4 lower shock mount | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 4x4 lower shock mount

FJK

Reaction score
Just broke off the end of the lower shock mount, in trying to remove the nut. This is for the front shocks, lower mounting stud, that is pressed into the radius arm. Does Ford or anyone else provide a service repair kit? I can't be the first one this happened to. If a service kit is available, what's the best way to remove what's left of the lower stud mount? I'm thinking cut out with abrasive cutoff wheel & drive out what's left with a drift.
Can anyone help? Thanks, FJK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FJK,

I did the same thing with my 94 a while back when I still had the stock radius arms on. I performed a simple and easy repair that only cost $2. First off I drilled out the factory bolt from behind. I then headed off to the hardware store and nut and bolt, large outside diameter washers and stainless steel sleve to space out the bolt and shock bushing. Altogether, it took about 2 hours to complete and worked well for over a year - until I replaced my radius arms. If you can't drill out the factory bolt, try using a cutting touch from behind and then clean it up with a drill bit.

We snapped off the bolt type thing right off the radius arm (came right out) a year ago. It cost us $50 to get it welded back in. We haven't had a problem with it since then (30k miles ago)

I did the same with a 92 Navajo and I spent $37.00 on a new radius arm from the dealer. The other suggestions seem like they would work as well.

Good luck,
FM

Shock mount

I did the same thing on my '92 awhile ago. It's very easy to fix. Just drill out the remaining part of the stud and get a bolt through replacement one from your local 4-wheel parts dealer. It will bolt right through and is made for this application. Should cost about $5.00. I got the part from Trick Trucks in Kensington , MD. This is much easier and cheaper than replacing the radius arm. It also won't break again.

Back