Front lower shock mounts sheared off! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front lower shock mounts sheared off!

InspectoRob

Reaction score
City, State
Simsbury, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Rencently I changed my shocks and the front (both sides) lower studs sheared off at the threaded part. I have no threads to put nuts on.

I temporarily wired the shocks to the radius arms to prevent them from slipping off the studs. I am now planning to grind off the "rivet heads" from the back of the studs, drill holes and mount shocks with grade 8 bolts and washers. It concerns me because I fear the bolts will have some play in them since they are only one sided mounting.

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you or your mechanic do? Any suggestions will help!

Thanks
Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your plan will work just fine. Get a bolt approx. the same size as the stud and is a tight fit in the shock bushing.
Use flat washers on each side of the shock and also a lock washer with the nut. Install good and tight.
Broke one of my radius arm studs about five years ago and have since replace the shocks twice. Still using that same bolt. A little anti-seize on the threads will help for the next removal.

Hope this info helps.

Bill

I did the same a couple years ago..I got a used arm at the bone yard...Took a days work, but was good as new and had no worries when done.

You can buy shock mounts similar to those at your auto parts store, they are in the help section, and are a universal type mount, threaded on both sides.

UPDATE

Thank you for the input.
I used my new grinder to flatten the ends of the studs, removing the small pieces of the former threaded section. Then I drilled a 9/32 hole directly through the stud. I did not have the hardware, but I am going to get it today. Planning on 1/4" bolts to pass through the studs with washers etc. (as Bill suggested) to hold the shocks on.

I chose this route because the existing studs are very sturdy still and the 1/4" hardware should be enough to retain the shock. I can always go back to the other ideas of new bolts or the replacement studs. So far so good.:)

Rob

Back