94 engine stalls immediately when starting to move | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 engine stalls immediately when starting to move

Awon2zip

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey everyone,

I was driving my 1994 Ford Explorer 4x4 5-speed tonight when out of no where i lost power and had to keep applying throttle just to keep the engine from stalling while in 3rd gear doing 30mph. Came to a stop and it stalled. Engine starts no problem but as soon as i start to release the clutch to start rolling in 1st or 2nd it stalls immediately. It will start and idle fine but as soon as i bring the clutch back it dies.

I heard nothing when it first died and it had been running flawlessly before. Any ideas what this could be? I couldn't find any old threads about this, I'm guessing maybe the clutch or it is stuck in a gear?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

when out of no where i lost power

That is your clue. Either a vacuum line came off, an electrical connector came loose, a sensor failed, something changed. Try reading the ECM codes to see if it can give you more clues.

Or if you're rich you can just throw parts at it and eventually you will have a new truck... and a pile of good used parts.

The list of reasons for why this is happening is endless...almost literally. Gotta narrow it down or we are all going to be throwing a bunch of crap at you to see what sticks. :dunno:

Thanks guys. It started up and drove fine to work the next day then the battery was completely dead when i got off work. It wouldn't jump but I've had that battery in the truck for over 5 years and I think it finally quit. Not sure if that was the issue but it's running fine now, I'll be sure to update this thread if anything else comes up.

Back