94 ex with 160xxx miles will it last?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 ex with 160xxx miles will it last??

hummin25

Reaction score
City, State
Jamestown RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 EB
Hey guys, I have the opportunity to buy a 94 eb with power everything etc... The transmision was rebuilt and a new exhaust was just put on. The only problem is that the truck has 160,000 miles!. My dad says thats way to much and that I shouldnt think about getting it. So my question to you guys is what do you think? How reliable or durable are the 4.0's that they put in these. How many miles do you think I can get out of it before it dies? How much does it cost to rebuild? Hopefully I will only have it for a few years and then I will get the expo!. Any help would be really appreciated.
-Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the site... alot of people get over 200k on them mine is at 122k and running like new. so i think it depends on how many miles a year you will put on it and how much is the truck?

I just replaced the engine in my '92 at 160,000 miles. Remanufactured long blocks run $2000-$2500 before istallation. However, if you ever needed and engine, the 4.0 L OHV is a fairly common engine, so, if you are willing to accept a used replacement, they usually aren't hard to find. I could have got a used motor with ~80K miles for ~$1000. Of course, all of this information will only be useful if you ever find that you need an engine. If the engine has been and continues to be well maintained, you could very easily get many more miles out of it.

Well, guys im debating. The truck is 3500 ive got 2 grand but will have to borrow 2 from my parents. And the last thing I want to do is to get this payed for and have it break and need a new engine. I do however really like these trucks. I just called the guy today and hopefully will get a chance to look at in a few days. But its such a damn gamble and I hate that. Any suggestions
-BIll

you wanna make a trip to michigan, i got a 91 ex with 165k, rebuit trans 30k ago and rebuilt engine about 20k ago. new flywheel, starter, brakes water pump, 18mo alpine cd changer, keyless, remote start. we have been asking 2700 obo, but if want it, i'll let you have it for what we owe, 2000. the abs doesnt work (which is actually a good thing, the abs sucks on first gens) and it needs the 4x4 hubs replaced ($200 for a kit to switch to manual hubs). other than that, typical wear and tear, some rust, crack in winshield, a/c inop. runs like a top but it was my girlfriends and she commutes 100 miles/day, so we bought a cavalier for her.

(its the brown one)

91front.jpg

compare.jpg

gen005.jpg

gen004.jpg

seriousley though, 160k is fine as long as the trans is ok and it gets regular maintinance

any used car

any used car can have that gamble in it. low miles are not a gaurantee for proper care

It really just depends how well it was taken care of and how it was drivin. Ask the guy if he has records and what kind of driving he has done with it. Find out how many owners there were.

basically with used cars you just have to be smart about what you are buying. the car is new to you but not new off the line. Previous care is the most important thing. Just about any car could run well past it's commonly expected life if it is taken care of.

Since your parents want you to get something else, don't let them get away with just saying no to what you are interested in. Have them look around also and find a vehicle to meet your needs and wants.

My dad was recently trying to convince me to give up on my '91 explorer because he had gotten a good deal on a car through the dealer for my sister. he was pulling for a new s-10 or me

I said well if you can find a way to make my yearly expense less with a comparable vehicle be my guest. about a week later i started overhauling my explorer. lots of body work to remove every trace of rust i could find and new paint. once he ran the numbers a dozen different ways it just didn't add up the way he thought it would.

mine has about 175000 on it. I got it with 114000 and have had to rebuild the tranny once around 120000 and the transer case died around 160000. other than those two repairs it has been running great and only needs rountine stuff

currently the engine runs strong and tranny shifts fine. Leaks a little, but I don't think a rebuild is around the next turn by any means.

and check out some other explorers so you can get a better idea of what is typical at that age and milage in your area. It is also a good thing to have comparisons to other vehicles in the area when you try to move that price down

I have 125k, runs absolutely perfect. However im the only owner and it has been taken care of extremely well.

How many miles ago was the tranny rebuilt? The tranny would be my biggest worry with that many miles. If it was rebuilt, say, 10 miles ago (to make a point), I would say it needs more miles on it to make sure it is a good rebuild job. Too many miles on the rebuild (say, more than 50k-75k miles), and I would start to worry again.
Check the fluid - it should look new - red. Make sure the fluid level is good.

The engine should be fine as long as it has not been neglected as far as oil changes. Make sure there is no rocker arm ticking noises. You might want to hear the engine from a cold start.

This is my cheap and quick 4WD test procedure:
Put the truck in a long straightaway (long driveway or side street with no traffic, but it has to be straight - 50-100ft.) Roll all windows down so you can hear.
1 - While standing still (Park or Drive - doesn't matter), push the 4WD button. The first test will be if the indicator light by the button lights up. You might also hear the transfer case motor engage the t-case.
2 - Drive forward STRAIGHT - accelerate slowly to ~40mph (important - do not make turns w/ 4WD engaged on dry pavement). This second test will make sure the autolocking hubs are working. It should not take more than one or two wheel revolutions for the autolocking hubs to lock. You should not hear any loud pops, crunches or grinding from either side front wheels. You should also feel and hear that the front axle and diffy has engaged.
3 - Come to a stop, then put it into reverse and drive in reverse. The autohubs should unlock and relock again in the reverse direction after 2-4 wheel revolutions. Again, no noises from the front wheels. And no turns - keep it straight.
4 - Come to a stop and push the button again to disengage the transfer case. Make sure the indicator light goes out.

My '94 XLT has 189K miles. here's the link to my recent tranny story. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=81107
My rocker arms tap when cold, but I am confident that that will not take a complete engine rebuild to fix.

I have a 91 with 168k miles on it. It runs as good as new. I have had to put about $400 in maintenance items over the past year or so but if you take care of it it will last you a long time.

I would not buy another automatic.They break and are expensive.Get a standard

We are approaching 200K with our 95 EB. We are on our 3rd tranny, but the engine is running great. The oil gets changed everytime the computer tells us to and even with that mileage, we NEVER have to add oil. It doesn't smoke and tows the boat just fine. Mine is for sale for $5000. Looks great too.

Lot's to consider here....

personally I would not buy any 4wd with high mileage, unless I know the person I am buying from; many will disagree with that statement. In any case, you can bet there will be maintenance costs at some point.

Read the input from others and make your decision, and listen to your Dad. Most likely he's been there and done that as they say!

Bascially, you'll pay your money and take your chances!!

I have a 91 4x4 with 231k and the motor acts like its brand new! The body and seats are like new. Bought it 4yrs ago and the tranny had just been rebuilt and its hanging in there. I think the 91-94s had good motors and crappy trannys,but you say it was recently rebuilt. If the engine sounds good and runs good it could last years.Im sneaking up on a quarter million miles it runs like it did the day it drove off the showroom floor.:D Changed the oil last month after 4200mi and used 2/3 of a CUP not qt. my 2 cents but I have no sense

I bought my 94 limited with 152k on it..now 160k for 3900 and it drives drives great. Its all about how the truck was maintained and serviced. You should be able to tell by the way it drives, looks inside the car, engine compartment, and underbody..

I have a 94' and when i purchased it it had 106k on it. It now has 116k on it. I purchased it 2 yrs. ago and i have had the engine rebuilt and the tranny rebuilt. The engine runs fine but the tranny is just pitful. I would not suggest getting a first Gen. Explorer. Save your money and get a 95+ I paid 5300 for the 94' v6 2wd xlt wit 106k. I just bought a 97 v8 awd xlt loaded wit 106k for 5800. If you do decide to get it have it checked over by a mechanic before you purchase. Around here Explorers are abundant so their are tons to choose from when looking to buy. I love my v8 awd Xploder :)

we have an aerostar with the exact same motor at the explorer and it is over 353,000 miles on it. All we have done to the motor is change the oil. If you want to count starter waterpump and heater core as parts we replaced as well. Our van hasnt been one of the natured life. It has towed trailers cross country hauled fire wood trach construction parts. 2 months ago I loaded a chevy 14 bolt a c5 auto 4 32" rims + tires a hood and a bunch more crap into it and auled it 500 miles that way. The tranny on the other hand sucks I think we are on #5 Ours is also 4wd as well so it has been wheeled even a few times :D

Matt

any tranny is going to wear out eventually towing stuff all the time but if you are doing normal day driving and taking care of it, it should last awhile

My 96 explorer has 208,000 and the engine is running like its brand new. I havnt ever replaced the tranny or anything major and its running excellent, One of my friends has a 91 explorer with over 500,000 miles!! with the original engine, i couldnt beleive it myself

Back