94 exp. looking for new tires/wheels...plz read | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 exp. looking for new tires/wheels...plz read

ok, ive already looked around and found out that the stock exp can fit 31x10.5 on 15x8. now im curious as to what a good set up would be for on road driving and minor offroad, i want a beefy looking tire as well...

ones that have already cought my eye...are the Baja Claw Radial's. however, i have no clue what kinda wheels would be good...

another thing...Backspacing...could someone please explain this for me. i have no clue about anything that has to do with backspacing...what is it...how big/small do i want it...basicly...explain the concept of backspacing if u could and let me know how much my 94 has. its a stock EB.

also...currently my X has running boards on it, the stock ones. Im debating to take them off or leave them on....anyone?

thanks a alot in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3.75 backspacing is the best for a 15x8 wheel... 31x10.5x15 is a good tire size... however if you are worried about onroad ride, look towards an AT tire, not something aggressive like a baja claw, and just an fyi, baja claws suck on the street

k, was just talkin to my friend that works at GI Joes and he said the same thing about the baja claws.

any recomendations?

I have just gone to a 15"x8" with 3.75" backspacing with the BFG AT KO 31"x10.5" and really like them. The ride is much better than the tires I hadpreviously, a 245 street tire. Have not added lift yet, plan on installing new springs and shackles this weekend. The only rubbing is on extreme turns, which I don't do unless in my driveway to turn around.

Backspacing - If you set the wheel on the ground with the face down , place a board or a level across the top of the wheel. Then measure from the back of the wheel (where the rotors or drum would touch) and measure to the bottom of the board or level. This measurement will be the backspacing.

thanks alot LS, i think i might go with thoes same tires. they seem to fit my price range good.

now would a set of Rock Crawler - Series 51 be good? the only thing with thoes that confuses me is the Caps and Lugs not Included. Please purchase below. ...and i look below and i do not seem them....????

also, is taking the running boards off a pretty easy task?

I purchased the Rockcrawlers, as well, but I ordered the Soft 8 Model. I would give 4Wheel Parts a call instead of ordering online. I think they wre more likely to give a better price over the phone than online

For example, the Soft 8's were listed as 43.00 online, but I got them for 40.00 when I called.

Also, if you call, you can tell them that you need lugs and center caps, and they will make sure to get the right ones for you.

Look at the Kumho Venture MTs

they are a mud terrian tire, but i ride them on the street everyday, hardley any vibrations or road noise (compared to a Bogger)

and they are cheaper then the BFG A/T or M/T

and the running boards are not going to be hard at all. just take your time and be careful.

I just did what your are looking to do. I have the same needs. I got a new set of 15X8 rims with 3.75" backspacing & 31X10.5X15 BFG AT's. I am putting in my small 2" skyjacker lift to give the tires some more room. I also have factoy running boards & had to trim the very inside bottom portion becasue of rubbing. I also rub the inner fender lining on hard left & right turns in the front.

A few not soo good pics:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/150979571/289996401fNhkYX
http://community.webshots.com/photo/150979571/289997187CCOxKD

I have Bridgestone Dulers and they are great on and off road.

Jason94Sport, thanks, i like the way they look. what kinda rims are thoes?

LS: i was lookin on 4wheel but did not see the soft 8's? could u link me plz?

What's it worth to you?

Just Kidding. Actually, I was mistaken. The Soft 8 must be the Crager or other Brands version of the same wheel. The RockCrawlers are the Series 97( http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/prod...cat=WHE&prodline=3204&catName=WHEELS&man=TECH). The Series 97's are black, and the Series 99 is the chrome. I hope you live near a 4wheel Parts Store, because they wanted $15.00 per wheel to ship to me. Then I decided it was cheaper to drive to Norwood, GA to pick up.

BTW, 15x8 Size 5x4.5 Bolt Pattern 3.75" Back Spacing PCW97-5865 is what I ordered.

ThirteenthCurve said:
Jason94Sport, thanks, i like the way they look. what kinda rims are thoes?

LS: i was lookin on 4wheel but did not see the soft 8's? could u link me plz?

American Racing Series 62 Outlaw II

Back