94 Explorer High idle issue at start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer High idle issue at start

fordexplorer23

Reaction score
City, State
OKLAHOMA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
I have a 1994 ford explorer most of the time when I start it up it idles at 1.5-2k RPM until I drop into drive then it will go to about 1000. Now as I am driving I can feel the truck surging like jumping forward or lagging while driving.

Ive check fuel lines,fuel pressure,replaced fuel filter,checked TPS with OHM meter good readings. Cleaned the IAC. my guess is the MAF but still not sure.

This problems seems intermittent other times truck will start up and idle at 800 then all of sudden will go back to 2k.

Today when I first started the truck it reved up to 2000 and stayed there so I hooked a meter to the MAF and it was at 1.2

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

I might let the computer relearn idle, if you have not done it. Disconnect battery for about 5 minutes, reconnect, start and do some mixed driving.

done that a few times.. I just tried testing the IAC with a ohm meter and

from what I read it should be 7-13 OHMS between the 2 pins on the IAC and if U probe one of the pins and then the other on the case IAC it shoud read 10k+ OHMS

Mine was 10.9 OHMS between the 2 pins and OL when testing 1 pin and ground on the case.

Back