94 Explorer overheated | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer overheated

94 Eddie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
The water pump failed massively while my wife was driving and ALL coolant came out
It was so hot the oil was smoking but was running when shut off
Got new water pump and was disassembling when I saw the coolant that came out when I removed the radiator has a black tint to it
Is this fatal?
When I filled it up before I knew it was the pump it ran ok for the brief time it was running until I saw the water pump gushing
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does not sound good . If It got Hot enough to make the Oil Burn . Chances are the heads are warped . cracked , or There is worse damage than this . You could have got lucky and did no harm to the block or heads , but that's a Fat chance . Good luck with it , and Report back ! .

On another note
If the person responsible for the way the fan is attached to the pump is here come on over
So I can beat the &^%$ out of you

Does not sound good . If It got Hot enough to make the Oil Burn . Chances are the heads are warped . cracked , or There is worse damage than this . You could have got lucky and did no harm to the block or heads , but that's a Fat chance . Good luck with it , and Report back ! .

I agree it isnt looking good but I have never seen a black tint to the water coming out of the radiator before and was wondering if anyone had seen that before and what it meant
I have seen the milkshake looking oil before but not this
The oil in this truck doesnt look milky btw

Im sure not all the coolant looked black...i bet what you saw was junk settled at the bottom of the radiator. I was amazed when i drained mine after i had just added 2 gals of fresh coolant a few days earlier. I did not reuse that coolant. I would not assume the heads are cracked or the head gaskets are bad. I have seen plenty engines over heat and not sustain damage. replace the pump and go from there. You can run the engine without the cooling fan if needed to check if there is major damage but you'd of course have to keep an eye on the temp. you could also set a box fan infront of the rad if need be. If the fan blades are cracked you may want to replace it or even better install an electric fan instead.
Things to look for are water in the oil, oil in the water, combustion gases entering cooling system or oil. water getting into the exhaust is harder to detect.

I got the old pump off finally and I think you may be correct about the black being sediment or maybe some old stop leak or something
It is a 94 with over 250k on it
It did run pretty good the last time I started it before disassembly No white smoke
Change water pump and oil and refill with antifreeze and if it runs ok how great would that be?

That would be great and very surprising. Give it a shot!

Bad news
Got it buttoned up with new water pump and rebuilt alternator
Radiator bubbles immediately on start and blows white steam out of the tail pipe and loses water rapidly
and no pressure in hose
My guess is head gasket
Dammit

Guess again bud, hot supper=cracked heads. Sorry.

Dont know what "hot supper " means bud
but either way heads are coming off

You heads are likely cracked. If you search you will see that they are well known for not being able to survive being ran without proper cooling. Aftermarket heads are made thicker in trouble areas. If you are planning on re-using the factory heads rather than just replacing them with aftermarket I'd suggest have them checked by a machine shop if that is outside of your abilities.

Not gonna tell me what "hot supper" means are you?

Um... Overheated it, dude. ;)

Um... Overheated it, dude. ;)

Ahhh Yes I missed the Hot supper = Overheated connection
If you can read the original post you will see that I knew I overheated it Dude
I get the generational gap here with the "Bud" and "dude" which both would be considered insulting by anyone over 21 and the overzealous attempt at humor with a meaningless term like "hot supper "
Its ok no one can hear you in the basement
Really thanks for all your help

Hmmm, I get the impression you are a bit of a ****** bag so you're on your own there old feller...

Back