• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer-starting problems

holdout1

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Just picked up this 94 explorer. It will start fine on occasion but at other times it wont even turn over. I started it by jumping the solenoid on the firewall so i replaced that solenoid and it still gives me the same problem. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I dont know if i should look at the ground on the starter or if there is another solenoid elsewhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not sure I understand your question about power directly to the starter. It will start at times when i turn the ignition but at other times it doesn't turn over at all and I need to jump the solenoid. Thanks for replying.

if you took a jumper cable connected to the + post on the battery directly to + terminal of the starter, will it turn over every time? if it does, start checking your cables.

I will give that a try. Thanks for your help. :)

problems continue

I disconnected and cleaned all the grounds I could find and the terminals as well as checking the cables. now I have no power at all. The plot only thickens.

Check POS & NEG battery cables

On my 94, I had to replace both POS and NEG battery harnesses 3 years ago. They were so corroded that I couldn't be jump-started. Bought a new battery, got home OK, then the next morning went to my Ford dealer and bought a complete set of cables, at the time, $120 seemed like alot of money, but looking back, was worth the $$.

Recently, I had my mechanic put a battery analyzer on my battery and checked the output on the alternator, he gave everything an A+ !! I work part time for a landscaper and I have to rescue their trucks with dead batteries often, and I have every confidence (knock on wood), that my charging system can handle the occasional jump start for my boss, especially in the middle of winter plowing.

Just thought I'd share my starting troubles. Good luck with your EX

Greg

Had the same problem you are having. It was my starter. I was able to get under my Ex and tap the starter with a hammer to get it past the "dead spot". Eventually tapping on the starter quit working. I replaced the starter and it fires up every time now.

Edit: Didn't see your post about not having any power. Perhaps when you were cleaning the connections one of the cables finally decided to quit. The cables are known for rotting away inside the insulation.

Will the starter crank with power applied directly to it? If the answer is yes, then the problem is 99% your cables.

Back