94 Explorer Transmission Question? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer Transmission Question?

Jameshuden

Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, OHIO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer EB Edition
I own a 94 Explorer 4x4 with the A4LD Transmission. I need to replace It. What I want to know Is what other year and make vehicle has this Identical Transmission? I am trying to find a Used Transmission here In Dayton and when I ask for a 94 Explorer Transmission they always say they don't have one and I know It was put In more than the 94 Explorer. So I just need to know what other vehicles I can ask for that will be a match for my truck from a transmission stand point.

welcome to EF......the 91-94s had the A4LD.... i dont know what exact years of those will bolt up. search this site using the search link at the top and you will yield many results on this subject....

The 94 was the last year for the A4LD. You could also say that you are looking for an A4LD that was used with a 4.0L engine. The Aerostar van has it. The ones designed for the 4.0L engine have a few different parts to make them a little heavier duty than the ones made for the 3.0L engine. The only major diference is the output shaft, and 4X4 extension housing. If you want to get one from a 3.0L 4X2, you would have to dismantle it, and change it over. I don't think you would want to do that.

Ask for any explorer 4.0 litre auto transmission from 91-94 and it will work. In those years they made running improvements, and the 94 had all the upgrades that FORD had made to it before discontinuting it in favor of it's sibling, the 4R44.

Back