94 explorer wont start sometimes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer wont start sometimes

yomamas

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer
my son has a 94 explorer Eddie Bauer edition and it runs fine till you shut it off. sometimes it starts up fine, than other times it wont start unless you spray starting fluid in the throttle body and sometimes it starts or let it sit for an hour or so. we have changed the fuel pump ,filter,throttle positioning sensor,fuel pressure regulator,plugs,wires. its driving me crazy trying to figure this thing out. is there any other sensors that would make it do this? my daughters 95 sunfire is doing the same thing and i replaced all the same parts but hers starts every time with starting fluid.is there anyone on here that can help before i buy anymore parts i dont need?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a similar no start issue. I isolated mine to an electrical issue in the main power distribution box. The contacts were burnt and not passing power through the fuel pump relay.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key in your no start condition??

yes you hear the pump run when you try to start it. sometimes it will start fine on its own ,other times i can spray starting fluid in it and it will start.but sometimes it wont start unless i let it sit for a hour or so and than it stars on its own..where are you talking about on the main power box? thanks for trying to help

I also had this problem with mine. I've been stranded in a few too many places because of it to! I would switch out the fuel pump relay a couple times and wiggle the relay around in the box and it would USUALLY start shotly after. I now have a couple extra brand new relays in my glove box just in case.
EDIT: Pop the hood, main power box is on the passenger side back towards the firewall and you'll see all the relays and whatnot. next time it happens try switching out the AC relay for the fuel pump relay

My 94 sport does the same thing. Still can't figure it out. But like you said let it sit for an hour or so and it fires right up.

EDIT: swapped out the fuel pump and filter and she starts great now! :D

both my 1st gens did the same thing, all you have to do if it is the same problem i had is replace your contacts on the batter and clean up the wires, or if your in a hurry twist the terminals and tighten them down, and if your really in a hurry contact something from the positive battery terminal to the secondary starter sylonoid(small wire one) with the key turned over and the truck not in gear, or park wich ever, and keep doing that while jiggleing the postive and negative terminals, mine still does this some times, but that was the problem with both mine. hope that helps.

i was going to say the same thing. My old 94 did the same thing, all the lights worked, the fuel pump was working so i eliminated the battery. Took the wires off the battery, cleaned the posts and worked good as new.

Yep, i have to do it not all the time but i would say every few months i have to do it.

Hi everybody just wanted to let "ya,ll" ( I'm from NC) know that I am having kind of the same problem. It will have a hard time starting after it sits for a while and when it does this the cel will stay on while I crank it and then after about 3 or 4 sec. it will go off and the thing will start....... sometimes. I had a bud stand up there and mess with the box and the eec relay and it would sometime start and sometime not, also once it does start it will start faster if you start it right back up.

im my 94 there is a little tab just below the base of the steering colum. the tab if pulled out kills all the electronics to the engine. i recently realized that mine was loose and i was having similar problems, but once i put the tab back on it started up just fine every time i would check that before getting too deep in the power box.

i had same problem. got in and truck would turn but not fire. i replaced fuel filter and relay and no help. replaced the fuel pump for 300$ and was fine for 2 days but then same thing. my buddy and i jumped the fuel pump relay with a wire and still no start. we jumped the EEC relay and it was fine. i took the old fuel pump relay and stuck it in EEC relay and she has not had any problems since. turned out to be a 7$ relay on the EEC

im my 94 there is a little tab just below the base of the steering colum. the tab if pulled out kills all the electronics to the engine. i recently realized that mine was loose and i was having similar problems, but once i put the tab back on it started up just fine every time i would check that before getting too deep in the power box.

Hi. I'm a Newbie here.

Got my '94 Explorer (112K miles) back from the mechanic about 3 weeks ago, and it only acted up twice more before today. The problem is recurring, intermittent and driving me and my mechanic nuts.

I've been stranded a few times, sometimes just temporarily, where it will start again after sitting a while. Other time have had it towed.

Looked at the inertial cutoff switch (an AAA driver showed it to me once.) Seemed to be OK, not tripped. Haven't tested it with my mulimeter yet and wondering how.

Both times before today removing and re-installing the fuel pump relay "fixed" it, just as has sometimes worked in the past.

First replacement was from Kragen's. Bought two more from the Ford dealer and installed one and have a spare.

Can I use my multimeter to test the relay? Any idea what kind of resistance readings I should get or should I just be checking continuity?

Fuel pump was replaced a couple of months ago and seemed to fix it... but only temporarily. Returned the vehicle to the mechanic where he said his assistant cleaned all the electrical contacts in the fuses and relays, then kept it for a few days and started it several times.

I do not hear the whine of the fuel pump priming when I turn the key (as I do in my '91 Sonoma P/U).

This "tab below the base of the steering column" is something I've never heard of before though. What is it's function?

I was thinking maybe a loose wire connection under the fuses/ relays box...or between the relay and ignition switch, or the relay and the pump...?

'95 Explorer with start problems

I have a 1995 Ford Explorer that is having the same type of problem. There are times when it starts right up with no problems. However, on occasion, there are times where it turns over great, but doesn't fire. Like others have reported, I can come back later and it'll start right up again. Needless to say, it's a very frustrating problem.

I'm wondering if anyone thinks this might be a gasoline problem? We had a report here of bad gas being sold to local service stations. Any thoughts?

This is my only vehicle so I really trust it to start when I need it. It really ruins my day when I go to start it and it's having one of its fits. I never no how long it's going to take before it starts again. Sometimes it's just a matter of minutes, other times it's hours.

I just wish I could get a definitive answer. I've replaced fuel filters, fuel pumps, have a new battery...and still have this issue! I don't have equipment or tons of money to throw around to try solving why this happens.

current trips relay is ignition switch prone to crosstalk ? fuel pump dosnt prime at times
starter turns
???

FOAB-14B192-AA im looking now at the factory relays noticed when testing 3 of my relays were tacky had similar issues with occasional fuel pump not firing during key on starts
if you listen you will hear them click into operation as well as you can test the relays by taking a dc 12 volt across pin 85 neg and pin 86 positive and check for continuity across pin 30 and 87 youll here continuity beeps from your meter and clicks form relay

Ive heard that the ford factory part is not the best and aftermarket ones are better also you can firmly tap the relays around and they will free up but my issue may be a grounded system wire putting excessive heat on the electrical system causing these relays to get scored so replacement is advised after finding your electrical problem

I ran over some twigs im going to look into my abs wiring underneath my truck to see if I got one grounded out still looking for a proper color code wiring schematic when taking out the relays and the yellow protective shields I noticed continuity (mabe cross talk) between pin 86 of my heater blower relay and pin 85 or my abs control relay wiring

to much heat on relays truck is running on battery that is parasitically draining fast

npn mostly on pnp mostly off still trying to get manufactures info on the relays themselves as they are all FOAB-14B192-AA with some differences in manufacturer numbers on the bottom my fear is that one of these are in the wrong order .... I can only see that
one has pin 87a in use

let me know by posting if you find any manufacturers suggestion or

looks shooed out ok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX7fs2v19ZY

Back