'94 XLT 5-spd; electrical & starting issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'94 XLT 5-spd; electrical & starting issue.

PSEC94XLT

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I've searched the sight and found some potentially useful information; however, I have not found the same issue. . . .
I just bought a 94 XLT with the 5-speed; drove it 250 miles yesterday, it had a chance to cool off and then I took a trip around town. After pulling away from a light, I just shifted into third and hit a bump. The radio went out, then I noticed all the gauges were at 'home' and realized it had died.

I tried turning the key, nothing. I tried pop-starting it as I was coasting, nothing. The hazard lights, parking lights, head lights, interior lights, and instrument panel illuminate; the power locks work. The power windows, blower fan, and front and back windshield wipers do not work; absolutely nothing happens when I turn the key. I tried jumping it, nothing - the gauges still do not read. I tested the battery and got a 12.95 read. Given that pop-starting would not work, is this probably an electrical issue? Electrical is not my strong suite, is there any way it might be my fuses? Any thoughts or information would be great.
Thanks.

Sounds like the bump jarred a fuse loose or something. There is the fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side, pull down on the black handle. There is a also a fuse/relay box in the engine compartment. I would check the connections on the fuses and relays in the boxes.

Back