• Register Today It's free!

Advise on buying a 93 xlt, 5 spd

June

Reaction score
City, State
Maple Shade, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
??
Hi, in my quest for an X, I've come across a 93 4dr, XLT, 4.0 V6, 4x4, 5sp, 72k miles for $4975. The price seems about right being that the economy is down and all. I was wondering what I should look for when driving a 5spd X. I know the auto's suck so I would only consider a 5 spd. How reliable are these 5 spd trannys and what should I look for when driving it. I know the engine is pretty tough so I'm not too worried about that. The mileage seems good so I'll listen and look for obvoius problems. Anything ele to be aware of? Also what kind of gas mieage does a 5 spd X get? Also is the 4wd system on an X full-time or only part-time. Just curiuos? Any help would be great. I go to look at it tomorrow.

June
Soon to be driving this :exporange
or this:roll:

My auto X, 92 XLT gets about 20 mpg highway and 16 mpg city. The 4wd system is set up so that you can have 3 modes: 2WD, 4WD , 4wd Low. I bought mine used wth may more miles that the one you speak of. Currently 176k on mine and havent had any major problems with it.

I can't give you any input on the manual, except that there are rubber plugs on the top of the tranny that dry out with age, fall out, and allow all the fluid to escape, causing all sorts of headaches. If the rubber plugs are still there, they can (and should) be replaced with metal caps. You may want to read thru the info at the site I'm linking. Has tons of problem/maintenance info on the older model Ex's like the one you are looking at. May give you more of an idea of what to look at. Good luck! Dead Link Removed

Back