• Register Today It's free!

94 XLT drivers door latch problem

bdcaron

Reaction score
City, State
Lomita, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
Once my door is opened my drivers side door latch is not "resetting" in the proper position internally so that when I close the door it doesn't latch. Instead of latching the door bounces off.

Everything is aligned. I can manually move the latches then is closes perfectly.

I think it's an internal problem within the the latch. Before I buy a new one I thought I'd ask in case it's just a spring or something.

I just found this website, thanks in advance for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same thing happened to me just today. 94 Explorer sport.

That`s wierd I always thought the act of opening the doors is what opens the latch. I would probably spray some brakeclean on them to dissolve any gunk, then re-lube them, Might just be that they are getting sticky...

There is a plastic bushing that goes on the striker bolt that the latch attaches to when you close the door. Is that still intact or even present? If not, replacing it makes a huge difference on how the latch engages.

Champcar_Fan - that's what the guy at Ford told me also. The problem is the little finger that grab the striker close after I open the door. I have to manually open them before closing the door again.

The parts guy at Ford said they sell a lot of these latches. They had it in stock for my 94 xlt so that says something.

If I get the latch fixed I'm going to change the striker next.

Thanks for the input.
Bruce

Back