• Register Today It's free!

94 XLT starting problems

mad hatter

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Falls, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
My mom's 94 XLT is having starting issues. It will start just fine when cold, but after driving somewhere you go to start it and the fuel pump doesn't prime. I've bled the fuel off then tried to see if maybe it was already pressurized but it still didn't prime. She tells me that most of the time she has to cycle the key as many as 10 or 15 times before it will finally kick on and start. I'm thinking either faulty connection somewhere, the pump is going out, or theres a relay issue. Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let's start with the least expensive item and the most likely (think metal expanding and contracting) Fuel pump relay. Bad connections where it plugs into the power distribution block or burned/carbonized relay contacts. Try swapping the A/C WOT relay with the fuel pump relay for starters. The relay is not expensive as it's a general purpose relay, rated at 30 amps I believe.

Since my X is down (trans problems) i'm driving hers for a couple days. This morning i literally drove 3 blocks to the store, walked out of the store and got back in it and it wouldn't start. It doesn't deisel and die or anything, cranks over just fine but won't fire. I didn't hear the fuel pump prime either. I tried swapping the relays and still wouldn't start so I pulled the air intake and sprayed some carb cleaner straight into the intake, it fired right up. So now we've isolated that its definately a fuel problem. Any ideas on what else to look at? I don't have a fuel pressure guage or the $ to buy one now since i'm paying an arm and a leg for my tranny so i haven't been able to check that yet.

I'm going to take it to auto zone and have the codes read today. I'm thinking its either the fuel pump or a pressure regulator? Thoughts?

Back