• Register Today It's free!

'94 Xplorer auto hub problem

Rebel73153

Reaction score
City, State
Roseburg Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
My hubs are not locking in. I jacked all 4 wheels of the Explore up and blocked it and started it put it in 4x4 and then in drive. The front drive line turns but the 1/2 shafts that come from the front differential to the hub are not turning. Is my problem in the hubs or the front differential? I pulled the left hub and it was Packed with grease. Cleaned it out good with cleaner and ATF and put it back together but still not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated as money is really tight right now. Thanks.

The front drive line turns but the 1/2 shafts that come from the front differential to the hub are not turning.
If the front driveshaft can turn while both axleshafts remain stationary, something is broken inside the differential. In a functioning differential, at least one of the axleshafts must turn when the driveshaft turns.

That's what i was afraid of. Thanks for the info.

Ok, jacked it back up and checked both sides. The passenger side axle shaft is turning all the way to the brake rotor but not all of the drivers side. The section right out of the differential turns but not the knuckle at the rotor. And neither side locks in. I tried turning the wheel by hand with the axles turning but no luck engaging them. So i guess i will put a set of Warn locking hubs on and be done with this kind of nonsense?
Thanks again for the help.

Back