95 4x4 XLT - where is the throttle position sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 4x4 XLT - where is the throttle position sensor?

S. Allen

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 4x4
I have a 95 XLT 4x4 with 129,000 miles on it.

Recently, I have experienced some erratic idling at cold start-up.

I cleaned the IAC module, coolant temp. sensor, throttle body and replaced the plugs, wires and fuel filter (the usual suspects), and it did calm it down quite a bit, but a friend of mine that knows more about engines than I do said I might have a bad spot on my TPS (throttle position sensor) and I ought to check or change it out while I am at it.

So...

Where is the TPS located on a 1995 4.0? What does it look like? It is easy to replace, like the 02 sensors and IAC or does it require sapecial tools and knowledge?

Is it expensive?

I am really considering replacing it anyway...it does have 6 years and 129k miles on it and it can't be in that good of condition.

Thanks!

-SA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is the small, black electronic sensor that is on the side of your throttle body. It is the only part on your throttle body that has an electrical connector.

Be careful not to round off the bolt heads. it's VERY easy to do! I had a bad idle condition too, replaced the IAC sensor and it was all good then. I tried cleaning my IAC first, but ti didn't do anything. I would get a replacement
the TPS is $30 or so, but I would do the IAC first

good suggestion, but...

the IAC Module is 125 bucks...the TPS is 30 bucks...

It HAS gone 6 years and 129k miles...maybe its ready to be put out to pasture. At least the IAC got a cleaning (man, was that thing nasty!).

I'll start with swapping the TPS, but if it continues, I may have to replace the IAC as well. Cleaning the IAC did wonders already and the Check Engine light has not come on since I cleaned it.

thanks,

-SA

ps: Is the TPS something I can get at CarQuest or will I have to go to the dealer?

do yall know how much the o2 sensor costs and how to replace it?

By the way, it never needs to go out to pasture. i have a 91' xlt and its got 220 k miles on it. it just needs a little TLC. :)

yep..

I also have a 91...but it is a Ranger and it has 175k miles on it. Glad to know it has a way to go before it craps out.

Actually, the Ranger has been much more reliable than the 95 Explorer. The auto tranny in the 95 is it's Achilles tendon. The Ranger has a manual and other than having to put better freeze plugs in the tranny to stop a leak, it is MUCH better than the auto tranny in the Ex.

Yes, the 02 sensors run anywhere from 75-90 bucks apiece and you have two of them - one on each manifold. My Check Engine light came on at 90k miles and stayed on...replacing the sensors made it go away and stopped the funky idle at that time and I think I got a littlebump-up in mileage. They're easy to replace...just get the right socket and go easy. Put anti-sieze compound on the new ones before installing, re-set the computer and you're in business.

Funny you mention Texas...I am in Houston!

-SA

Thanks alot Robert,

Wow those o2 sensors are expensive but that is what i will do.

PS- mansfield is between dallas and Fort worth, bout 5 hours away (thats pretty close for texas). I used to live in houston. (I think in Richmond area or something like that)

TPS....did it, did no good.

Listen to them. I have a '94 XLT with all the classic symptoms you see people talking about.

The TPS was the first thing I replaced ( Yes, I rounded off the da_n screws!) and it did nothing.

It has 117k on it. The FPR helped when I replaced it, but I am about to change the IAC (ouch!). Wasn't sure to change the 02's or the IAC first, but from what I've read here the racing/loping was IAC going out.

Re: good suggestion, but...

Originally posted by S. Allen
the IAC Module is 125 bucks...the TPS is 30 bucks...

It HAS gone 6 years and 129k miles...maybe its ready to be put out to pasture. At least the IAC got a cleaning (man, was that thing nasty!).

I'll start with swapping the TPS, but if it continues, I may have to replace the IAC as well. Cleaning the IAC did wonders already and the Check Engine light has not come on since I cleaned it.

thanks,

-SA

ps: Is the TPS something I can get at CarQuest or will I have to go to the dealer?

Uh, save yourself the $30 plus the price for the special torqx drivers to get that thing off. it won't do anything trust me! Just replace the IAC sensor and make ysure you get a gasket for it also. MIne didn't have a gasket and that was part of my problem. Also I think I paid like $92 or something for my IAC. E-mail torrie@fordpartsnetwork.com and he will tell you how much.
i did all that you did with no results a TPS doesn't normally get gummed up. No air flows through it. The IAC on the other hand gets some major buildup. I know you cleaned it already, but you'll never get it as clean as a new one.

I think I'll do just that!

...replace the IAC module, that is.

Last night, I took a good look at the intake/throttle body set-up and yes, it seems that the TPS would not get nearly as gummed up as the IAC module.

Besides, I did clean it up, but you can't get everything out of that little bugger, because it doesn't come all the way apart to be cleaned properly.

I guess that since I got 6 years and 129k miles out of the first IAC module...it is not such a bad deal to have to replace it. Its not like it went out in a year or so (then I'd be worried).

I really like this engine. It is fairly easy to work on and diagnose/fix the small stuff. Its the automatic tranny that I can live without.

-SA

ps: I too have the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires (got them as a replacement from Ford). I had no idea how horrible the Wilderness ATs were, until I drove on the Michelins first time....they're nice!

Back