95 Eddie Bauer Running Rough

azwizard

Reaction score
City, State
Luther, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Eddie Bauer
Hello All,
First post here and unfortunately it's for Help... I recently picked up a 95 Eddie Bauer Explorer, 4.0 EFI, Control Trac 4WD w/180K miles. Ran beautiful and Love it. About 2 1/2 weeks ago @ 184K miles it started running rough..Splutters on accelleration/shakes the whole truck. Would start great but ran like crap for the first 20 minutes or so. Tried Dry Gas and fuel injector cleaners and it seemed to clear up for a couple of tanks but then came back even worse. Now Gas mileage has deteriorated to 9 mpg and it never seems to smooth out.

First off the check engine light is not on. But I have the AutoXray multi scanner and I thought I'd check things out. This car has a OBD II connector under the drivers side dash that I used and it keeps telling me "Vehicle not responding".. Then I saw an old OBD I EEC connector under the hood by the Fuse center.

KOEO= 111 CM= 111
KOER= 111 CM= 111

This scanner can dial in and view multiple sensors I.E.. Throttle posit., O2 ect... I ran it though all the sensors in a dynamic test and viewed an appropriate response from all sensors.

Finally tonight I had my Dad help me and we braked torqued the truck in gear to 1500 rpm so that it was running really rough and I went around the engine compartment spraying a can of starting fluid at the intake and various vacuum lines. It seemed to smooth out and pick up a little when I sprayed around the snorkle. But then I ran out of starting fluid.

I didn't find anything glaring at me but then I've mostly worked on Gm cars most of my life. I have two questions?

1. Why dosen't the OBD II connector work when the old OBD I does?

2. And most important why do you think it's running rough? What other test can I do?

Any help would be much appreciated Thanks!:salute:

1. OBD II came out in '96 You have a '95 which is a OBD I.

2. I think you should go back to old school trouble shooting. Check for good spark, good compression, then good fuel delivery.

Being that you have the only year 2nd gen. X that is OBD I then you can check with the folks on the 1st gen. section for answers.

I would check the plugs for signs of fouling or oily deposits. You can get an in line spark checker for about $5. You can rent a fuel pressure gauge form your parts store and see if that is up to spec. Compression checking requires removing plugs one at a time and using a pressure checker to verify the pressure in each cylinder.

Back