95 explorer started, ran rough then died | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 explorer started, ran rough then died

Reaction score
City, State
South Shore Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 4X4 loaded
My 95 xlt explorer died when I was backing out of a parking space. It was running very rough and then just died out. I tried restarting multiple times and it cranked and the engine came very close to starting a few times. I added a gallon of gas just in case but I'm fairly certain I had gas anyways. I had it towed and sears hooked up a battery and couldnt figure it out. They blamed a fuel related problem and its now going to my mechanic. I just had the starter replaced 2 weeks ago after a week of long starting times and finally it died and was towed. I don't know if its related but right b4 i went into the parking spot I turned left and it felt like I hit something but their was only clean but wet (as it was somewhat rainy) pavement. And earlier in the day I had heard a very slight clicking noise that stopped when I accelerated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome To The Forum! If it tried starting its not your starter, could you hear the fuel pump turn on when the key was turned over to ACC position before you turned it to start position?

Be sure to clean your battery posts and connectors of corrosion and clean the cable connection on your starter motor. Additionally, it wouldn't hurt to change your fuel filter in case that was clogged - it is definately a part of the fuel system that goes unnoticed until it becomes an issue.

Fuel Pump Dead

So x92Exploder was right about the fuel pump. So while that was being replaced the mechanic noticed that one of my wheels was about to basically fall off in a few hundred miles, I'm pretty sure my explorer was trying to save me from crashing on the 2 hour drive home from where it died out. So about a grand later (starter, fuel pump, and wheel work) and I have my baby back.

Back