** 95 explorer transmission issue ** | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

** 95 explorer transmission issue **

tapatio

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
I need an insight for a transmission issue, so any tips would be helpful. Last week while i was going to work, i pulled out of the driveway and drove less then 40 ft when i heard a odd noise and i lost all power to drive forward in any gear, i can to a park, restarted and shifted into drive, gave it gas and it only reved up the engine.... so i shifted into reverse, gave it gas; same thing....nothing. i was able to push the explorer back into the driveway and i check the fluids while still hot, that was good.
I did have a Valve body gasket issue prior to this, I had to let off the gas in order to let the transmission shift into second gear... So my question is this; could it just be that the torque converter is bad? or should i look deeper and say i need a transmission? if i do need a tranny, is it the a4ld or the 4r55e?
any advise would be helpful

1995 ford explorer 4.0L 4x4

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4R55E.

To help narrow it down some.....

1st & reverse use the same band, 2nd & 3rd use the same band, OD has its own band. If you lost power to all gears, it is not the bands.

If a shift solenoid went out, you would lose shifting to the corresponding gear.

If the vac modulator went bad, you will have bad/delayed engagement shifting characteristics.

If you lose all fluid pressure, you will not have any engagement in any gear. If you have low pressure, it will take some time to go into gear (if at all). In general...This can be a bad pump, a bad VB, clogged filter, or low fluids.

This sounds more like a VB issue. Check out the stickies in the trans section for more details on your transmission.

Thanks for the info, I've been searching for a used 4r55e to swap out, but if i dont need to and its just a few minor things then i could attempt to tackle the issue, but first; where do i find the solenoid at? vac modulator location? and the pump? I viewed the location about the filter on a video, so i got that, i also bought the gaskets for the valve body too, with a torque converter. is there a map reference i could look at online somewhere?

Back