• Register Today It's free!

95 Explorer Transmission Issues

airwolf

Reaction score
City, State
Mishawaka, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Eddie B.
I have found a lot of useful information on my X so far (light out module, where to find the code to my key pad) by searching, but have yet to find a answer to my problem.

First off can anyone tell me what kinda of tranmission is in my X?

Secondly, I am having a 1-2 upshift problem. It will not shift from 1st to 2nd unless I let off the gas and 'wait' for it to shift. All I have to do is let up enough so there is no longer a load on the transmision. My O/D light is also blinking. Any ideas as to what is causing this shift problem? It shift into all the other gears, including overdrive okay. The shifting is also firm which indicates to me it is not a major problem and that a tranmission rebuild is not in order.

Any insight would be appericated. I am going to take it into a transmission shop to have them look at it, but want to sound semi-knowlegeable so they don't give me the it needs a new one, run around.

Thanks,

--Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know which trans you might have or what year they switched. If it still has the modulator valve (not computer comtrolled) I would suggest that is the problem. It has a vacuum line from the intake to the valve, and the rubber diaphram inside will leak air. It on the outside of the trans and easy to replace. They used to cost about $15 or so.

There again, maybe a pro can step in and say for sure which trans you might have.

Did you check the fluid? The level ok? Is it red colored? Does it smell burnt? Those are general automtic questions for any problem.

You should have a 4R44E transmission... which is a computer controlled version of the A4LD.

Oh ok...Then the modulator valve does not exist on his. I am no help here.

I have checked the fluid. It needs to be changed but is dosen't have the burnt toast smell. There is no modulator on it. I check for all the obvious things.

Thanks for the help.

Start by checking the codes causing the O/D light to blink, and go from there.

Try pulling the trans pan off to see if you have a small metal part in the bottom.
It controls the shifting in the lower gears. Check to see if it is shifting into second when you let off the gas, or is going straight to drive. If the part is missing, your transmission will be "shift happy".

I would really hope you don't have the 4r44e. Thats the Windstar and lighter duty Ranger tranny. Factor 95 Explorer trannies are the 4r55e. Will the trans shift ok if manually shifted?

Really??? A rear wheel drive Windstar??? Cool!!! I was wrong... the 4R44E is for 3.0 engines in Rangers and Aerostars, and the 4R55E is for 4.0 engines... but there is hardly any difference.

Yeah Aerostar, not Windstar. Too many star names :confused:

It won't shift if I manually either. I shouldn't say it won't shift at all. It will shift into second once I take the load off the tranmission, i.e. let up on the gas a little bit.

If I had it to work on, I'd start by checking line pressures. If ok, I'd check the valve body, esp the 1-2 shift valve and all the solenoids. I doubt the front band is in play here. I'm guessing VB issues.

My explorer has been doing the same thing...

1995 4.0 OHV with 138k EXACT same story.... What was the verdict??

Am i going to need to rebuild my tranny?

Back