95' Tranny Fluid Change. Please Set Me Strait... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95' Tranny Fluid Change. Please Set Me Strait...

Fischer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Durango, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT 4x4
Here is the deal. I want to change the fluid in the tranny using the popular Cooler Flush in accord with an Internal Filter Change and Secondary Filter Change

Things to know:
--I have a external filter (stubby filter, Mobil1 HiFlow)
--5R55E is the type of the tranny (correct for 95' 4x4?)
--I'm not wealthy ;)

Here is what I gather from prior posts:
**Drop Pan Clean Filter First**
--4 Qt. Fluid Needed for Drop Pan
-----New Internal Screen Filter and Gasket Needed
--Replace Filter, Pan, Gasket, Torque 10 ft. lbs

**Flush Cooler Style Second**
--19 Qt. Fluid Needed for Good Clean Flush
--Bucket w/ Qt. Levels hashed & Plug Return Line
--Add 1 Qt. as 1 Qt. Drains

**So am I correct in procedure here?
**Shall I do Cooler Drain inline prior to Secondary filter?
**Do I need 23 Qt. Mercon V or just 19 Qt.?
-----I believe that the filter holds about 3/4 Qt.

Thanks for the help and thanks for reading this.

Please set me strait.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everything looks good except that the 5R55E didn't come out until '97. You probably have the 4R55E which the 5R55E was derived from. I'm not sure if the filters and capacities stayed the same though. Not sure about the remote tranny filter questions since I didn't add one.

Yeah, you have the 4R55E, and I don't know who told you about the 19 qts. Owner's manual says the total capacity is 10, so you would probably have a good flush if you just ran 2 cases into it, plus the 4 for the pan drop.

I did 14 quarts

with my 97 5R55E. If you have an external filter then the fluid can't be that old. If you want to be really neat, you could use the spin on filer bypass adaptor from Summit TRD-1013 $9.95 and run drain lines. I was thinking of getting a $2 Super Tech filter, cutting a hole, and soldering on a hose barb to drain mine. The inlet line to the transmission always dribbles out fluid too. Check your valve body bolts, mine were loose. These only take about 7 ft-lb and too much is as bad as too little. Look for my post underUTH - Engine Stubble about reverse/low servo problem.

Originally posted by Bshmastr
Yeah, you have the 4R55E, and I don't know who told you about the 19 qts. Owner's manual says the total capacity is 10, so you would probably have a good flush if you just ran 2 cases into it, plus the 4 for the pan drop.

The listed capacity on my '97 SOHC is 10 quarts however it took 4 quarts to replace what I drained from my pan and then another 15 quarts before the fluid coming out the hose was as clean as the fluid I was pooring from the bottle. If you only change 10 quarts, you'll be leaving a lot of junk in your transmission. I originally bought 15 quarts to do the flush, however after pooring in my last bottle, the fluid was still coming out pretty dark so I went back down to Walmart and bought the rest of their stock (4 quarts). My transmission had 30K since I changed the filter and 4 quarts the time before (when it had 50K on it).

Just what I was looking for.

I'll probably just buy 19 to 20 Qts. of MerconV as it is a blend. Good enough for me.

Then follow with the above stated. I am not sure of the capacity of the spin on filter as it is a stubby buddy.

Just for reference for Opera House.
I put the remote filter on and then just added the amount (less than 2 Qt.) to make up the difference of what I lost putting it in. Perma Cool is the one I got. :confused: ;) I like it so far, not that I can tell one way or the other.
**EDIT***
Durr, I just realized what you were saying. I'll have to check that out. I was just thinking of putting a bucket under there. That could be messy though???

Originally posted by Robert
The listed capacity on my '97 SOHC is 10 quarts however it took 4 quarts to replace what I drained from my pan and then another 15 quarts before the fluid coming out the hose was as clean as the fluid I was pooring from the bottle. If you only change 10 quarts, you'll be leaving a lot of junk in your transmission. I originally bought 15 quarts to do the flush, however after pooring in my last bottle, the fluid was still coming out pretty dark so I went back down to Walmart and bought the rest of their stock (4 quarts). My transmission had 30K since I changed the filter and 4 quarts the time before (when it had 50K on it).

Wow, that's good to know. There must be a lot of mixing between the old and new fluids during the flush.

A couple of years ago the quick change oil place only charged $70. to do a tranny flush. I dont know how much it is now but for the mess and the fact that any problems are theirs I would look into what they have to offer.

I ordered the Oil Filter Bypass from Summit yesterday. This ought to save me some time as I ALWAYS make a mess on the garage floor with any fluid changing.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes. This should be slick...

I'll try to remember the digi too...

Okay, well in my never ending quest for planning and information.

Who knows of a place to find a good kit for the trans pan drop. Gasket, new filter etc...

possibly www.bulkparts.com

I figure I will do the pan drop clean it up and all then do the full flush.

Also is this RED Bottle stuff worth a dang?

good stuff to know,

i plan on doing a pan drop sometime this weekend

Back