• Register Today It's free!

96 explorer 4.0 2wd wont start

navyman832

Reaction score
City, State
houston texas, stationed in norfolk va
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt 4.0 2wd
wont start has been an intermittent problem for awhile but has now come to that point. it would start up and run fine for awhile then would decide not to start at all, in all weather conditions and temp conditions, didnt matter. thought it was fuel problem at first because it was trying to start just wouldnt turn over( would just keep cranking) i changed the fuel filter same problem changed the fuel pump samething. decided to when it wasnt starting to pull a plug and see if i had spark, no spark. so when its not working im not getting any spark. i changed all plugs and wires and still no spark. tested the coil pack across the 4 pins ( power pin to pin C1 read 1.4 ohms, power to C3 read 1.6 homs, power to C2 read .9 ohms) tested resistance across where the leads hook up ( from plug 1 to 5 13.62 ohms, from 2 to 6 12.4 ohms, from3 to 4 13.2 ohms) according to chilton manual all out of limits but dont know if that would cause it not to spark or would just make it run rough. if i change the ignition coil and samething my next thought would be ignition switch. whats your thoughts, trying to work on it tomorrow as its my day off. thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also no codes are poping have had the computer on it several times working and not working

when it doesnt start, check for power and ground at the coil, one of them should be pulsing to collapse the feild and generate the spark

im getting 10.8 volts at the coil when it isnt starting. dont know what im getting when it was starting to compare

When I had this problem, it was one of the black things in the fuse box. Check if maybe it's one of those.

Back