93 2WD wont start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 2WD wont start

when the tow truck driver boosted it
symptoms were same acts like a dead starter or not getting enough juice
just one single click.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shaggsta said:
I think I have the exacpt same problem right now... started today

ive been trying to start mine everyday to no avail...

93xltnewb said:
my neighbour and i checked the volts on the wires and according to him they were all good.. the guy was baffled as well
ive replaced the fender relay with a new one starter is new as well..
so im thinking its gotta be a bad ground or wire...
my problem is i dont have a clue on how to replace these things and not sure how difficult it would be... im very limited skillswise :D but i learn quickly..
the wires connecting to the battery will probably need replacing.

12v is nice, but doesn't indicate your wires are good... It is VERY common on older Explorers to have internal corrosion (not visible unless your remove the wire insulation) within the 2 wires running to the Starter (starter & solenoid).. I'm sure everyone has seen corrosion where it looks like film of crap on the ends of wires.. This corrosion can be within the insulation preventing the FULL amount of power (amps) from reaching the Starter or its attached solenoid. If the solenoid doesn't get enough power it will not complete the circuit in affect not flipping the switch to send power to the starter..

To test you can simply piggy back another wire on the starter.:
Attach another 12ga wire (to the solenoid (on the starter) then attach the other end to the fender solenoid post (0v with key off). If the starter fires up your wires are bad and need to be replaced.

DeRocha said:
12v is nice, but doesn't indicate your wires are good... It is VERY common on older Explorers to have internal corrosion (not visible unless your remove the wire insulation) within the 2 wires running to the Starter (starter & solenoid).. I'm sure everyone has seen corrosion where it looks like film of crap on the ends of wires.. This corrosion can be within the insulation preventing the FULL amount of power (amps) from reaching the Starter or its attached solenoid. If the solenoid doesn't get enough power it will not complete the circuit in affect not flipping the switch to send power to the starter..

To test you can simply piggy back another wire on the starter.:
Attach another 12ga wire (to the solenoid (on the starter) then attach the other end to the fender solenoid post (0v with key off). If the starter fires up your wires are bad and need to be replaced.

thanks for the tip
im tryin to get a hold of my mech im gonna get him to test it just the way u said it.. im not competent enough to do it my self :( so before i do more damange ill let someone know what there doing do it for me.
this problem is so annoying that im already looking at autotrader

ok this is buggin me now since i cant get a hold of the mechanic i know
and cant exactly drive the X to a garage.. i might just get it towed to a garage my question is how many hrs would it take a mechanic to replace
my battery wires + - the all the way to the starter? and how much would these wires cost?
thanks

first thing that I would do is make sure that you have 12 volts coming out of the solenoid and going to the starter. then make sure that you have 12 volts going into the starter. Is the click coming from the solenoid located on the starter, or the one on the firewall? try tightening the wires on the firewall solenoid.[/QUOT

Your post may be the start to the answer I'm looking for... My 93 Explorer won't start. The battery is good, new starter and solenoid installed. I'm getting 12.4 volts from relay to solenoid, but when I turn the key to the on position I get no volts from the solenoid to the starter motor. The gear does kick out, but the starter does not spin. I've read alot about corroded wires, but is there something else I should check first?

Back