96 explorer 4.0 5spd numerous issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 explorer 4.0 5spd numerous issues

dutch7219

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer
back story is about 2months ago I bought a 96 as stated in the title.
kid I bought it from said he'd replaced clutch, but now had no reverse. sure enough he was right. engine was solid and body was great for around here. when driving could hear a rotating part whine, I assumed he'd put throw out bearing in backward. driving down the road, lose all gears, I throw it to 4L, hey we're mobile, and have reverse! but won't come out of low. I check out the forum, get some ideas.
I head to local upull yard, grab several gems, and a 4505 xfer case matching my original. only diff, this is from automatic.
I swapped gems and mechanically turned to high. but it was the bw4505.
directly swapped all connections. now, no speedo. had no odometer previous, but now neither.
changed cluster, same thing.

swapped whatever the rear pickup where the actual gear connects with the original from my bad xfer, same thing.

here is the timeline
1. bought it with no reverse, bearing noise, speedometer working, odometer not.
2. driving home, lost high range. was mobile in low, had reverse, had speedometer.
3. remove shift motor, manually rotate transfer case selector to high. only have low, speedometer works.
4. I believe xfer bad, go to local yard to see about getting tcase, mechanic there says its the GEM. he's seen it a thousand times. I explain that I rotated manually to high, he says doesn't matter. I ask how much, he wants $50 for GEM, $250 for tcase.
5. go to a different upull, get transfer case, 3 gem (with same part# as mine).
6. try all gem, just to be thorough, low range, speedometer works, no odometer.
7. change tcase, high range, no speedometer, no odometer.
8. change cluster, no speedometer, no odometer. change back to original cluster.
9. changed the pickup at the tail of the tcase to the one from original tcase, no speedometer, no odometer.

any thoughts?
thanks.

Shouldn't the stock t case be a 4405? Can you remove the shift motor and force it to shift by hand?

that was attempted, it is why I changed cases. And correct, typo on me, 4405 t case. where I'm at is everything is working now with exception of speed and odometer. odometer didn't work when I got it, but speed did. now I have neither. I switched back to the original gem. same thing.

Gauge can and do, break. Diodes swell, solder joints heat & crack, etc.. The cluster has three pods that are removable, and replaceable. Being that your OD worked, but not the speedo, before the swap, and now neither do not, makes me lean towards the cluster used for the swap was the wrong one. There are a few different types, and you can't interchange them with the ECM. Compare the colors of the backs to make sure, you have the right one.

Back