• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer fuel pump help

mkee

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB
I drove to the mall yesterday and when I returned to start the truck it will not start, just cranks over. Had to call BCAA to check things out.
He went under the truck with a mallet and started hitting the fuel tank, while hitting I turned the key, it started.
He says its a bad fuel pump and should be replace asap, but when I started the truck today it started no problems.
I am wondering if I should replace the fuel pump or replace the fuel pump relay first to see if its the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gotta be the pump :D

I dunno what a BCAA is, but man, if he figured out your issue just like that, then I want a BCAA!

How do I jump the relay, which pins to I connect to?

BCAA (Canadian) is like your AAA, american auto association.

Thanks

How do I jump the relay, which pins do I connect to?

BCAA (Canadian) is like your AAA, american auto association.

Thanks

I've just replace my fuel pump also, bought a Airtex/Master E2059M pump assy and it did not fit because missing top screw mount hole and also missing the blue rubber boot on top so I returned it and purchased a Carter P74159, fits perfect, both pumps comes with a seal or gasket and will not fit the tank, be sure not to damage the orignal one so it can be reused.

Replaced mine recently too...Replacing one is not for the weak hearted but it can be done with persistence and patience. Mine started to stall a couple of times before dieing completely. I would go out in the mornings and start up the truck to warm it up. but it would shut of after a few stutters...this went on for like 2 weeks until it finally didn't start at all...

I replaced mine with one from Autozone E2059MN $136.99 + Tax. Mine didn't have the top screw or the blue rubber boot but it worked just fine. If you do plan on doing it your self....Make sure you have the right tools especially the fuel line remover and a helper would be nice too.

Back