96 Explorer headlights won't turn off. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer headlights won't turn off.

oharris

Reaction score
City, State
Peyton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 & '98 XLT V8, '00 XLS
I searched and found several threads detailing the same problem, but none of them had the solution.

I came home yesterday at noon on a bright sunny day and noticed my headlights were on. I waited for awhile to see if they would turn off but they never did (at least not until the battery died.) The headlight switch was off, and the indicator on the mirror (I have the one with the buttons as opposed to the one with just the slider) was off. I tried turning the switch on and off but other than the lights on alarm sounding when it was on, nothing changed. I tried turning off the autolamps on the mirror, but no luck. Unplugging the mirror but that didn't change anything either. I finally removed the fuses for the headlights and parking lights in the power distribution box under the hood and that made them go off. I do not have DRLs or a LOM so it can't be one of those. The autolamp module is apparently under the dash somewhere, but I couldn't find a picture or a description of exactly where it is. Can anyone help with that part? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I searched and found several threads detailing the same problem, but none of them had the solution.

I came home yesterday at noon on a bright sunny day and noticed my headlights were on. I waited for awhile to see if they would turn off but they never did (at least not until the battery died.) The headlight switch was off, and the indicator on the mirror (I have the one with the buttons as opposed to the one with just the slider) was off. I tried turning the switch on and off but other than the lights on alarm sounding when it was on, nothing changed. I tried turning off the autolamps on the mirror, but no luck. Unplugging the mirror but that didn't change anything either. I finally removed the fuses for the headlights and parking lights in the power distribution box under the hood and that made them go off. I do not have DRLs or a LOM so it can't be one of those. The autolamp module is apparently under the dash somewhere, but I couldn't find a picture or a description of exactly where it is. Can anyone help with that part? Thanks in advance.
  • Relay and Control Modules

Section 17-01: Lighting, Exterior​

Section 17-01: Lighting, Exterior 1996 Aerostar, Ranger and Explorer Workshop Manual DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION The only standard equipment relay used in the exterior lighting system is part of the park lamp circuit on Explorer vehicles. The relay is non-functional except with certain options. If a Ranger or Explorer is equipped with autolamp/exit delay or anti-theft systems, relays are used to turn the exterior lights on independent of the "headlamp switch (11654). The headlamp and parking lamp relays can be controlled by the autolamp/exit delay module located in the rearview mirror. For anti-theft, the same relays can be controlled by the Remote Anti-Theft Personality (RAP) module. Aerostar models do not use relays or modules in the exterior lighting system.

• Relay and Control Modules

Section 17-01: Lighting, Exterior​

Section 17-01: Lighting, Exterior 1996 Aerostar, Ranger and Explorer Workshop Manual DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION The only standard equipment relay used in the exterior lighting system is part of the park lamp circuit on Explorer vehicles. The relay is non-functional except with certain options. If a Ranger or Explorer is equipped with autolamp/exit delay or anti-theft systems, relays are used to turn the exterior lights on independent of the "headlamp switch (11654). The headlamp and parking lamp relays can be controlled by the autolamp/exit delay module located in the rearview mirror. For anti-theft, the same relays can be controlled by the Remote Anti-Theft Personality (RAP) module. Aerostar models do not use relays or modules in the exterior lighting system.
Thanks for the reply, but I'm looking for the physical location of those relays. Any idea on where they are?

If your relay box looks like this, it is up under the dash on the right side of the driver's footwell... may have a cover over it that needs opened.

Otherwise some models have a relay box, under the engine air filter box, but I don't have any diagrams of that box, showing a headlight relay in it.

All else fails, grab a multimeter and measure for where power's still live when it shouldn't be. Wiring diagram attached, hopefully correct for a '96.

Relay Box Interior 1998 XLT.JPG

Attachments

• headlights-autolamps-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 65

If your relay box looks like this, it is up under the dash on the right side of the driver's footwell... may have a cover over it that needs opened.

Otherwise some models have a relay box, under the engine air filter box, but I don't have any diagrams of that box, showing a headlight relay in it.

All else fails, grab a multimeter and measure for where power's still live when it shouldn't be. Wiring diagram attached, hopefully correct for a '96.

View attachment 427743
Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for!

Back