'96 Explorer spark plug recommendations | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'96 Explorer spark plug recommendations

Did a pressure test, 2,7 bar while driving, 2,0 bar when idling, that should be ok ?

can you convert that to PSI (pounds per square inch). i think you should probably be between 45-65 PSI.

edit: appearently 1 bar = 14.5 psi. so, 2 bars = 29 psi, 2.7 = about 39 psi. sounds a bit low, but i'm not sure what a '96 is supossed to be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Normal values:
Key on, engine off: 35 to 45 psi.
Engine idling: 30 to 35 psi.
Engine idling, vacuum hose disconnected: 35 to 45 psi.
Your values look OK.

Also, spray some carb cleaner around the intake gaskets. If you have a vacuum leak, you will hear a raise in rpm's when the flammable spray gets inside cylinders.

Tried to replace ignition cables, one by one, still the same.
Bought a set of cheap Bosch spark plugs today, all misfire gone, engine runs like never before :thumbsup:

Tried to replace ignition cables, one by one, still the same.
Bought a set of cheap Bosch spark plugs today, all misfire gone, engine runs like never before :thumbsup:

these engines typically don't like Bosch plugs, but hey - whatever works. you must have had a cracked or defective plug all along (most likely cracked, as there's not much to a spark plug to go wrong). congats!

Ditto on the defective plug(s) Bosch? :scratch: This has to be a first. LOL

these engines typically don't like Bosch plugs, but hey - whatever works. you must have had a cracked or defective plug all along (most likely cracked, as there's not much to a spark plug to go wrong). congats!

Can't see anything on the old NGK's, no cracks or anything that can explain al the trouble I've had.

Can't see anything on the old NGK's, no cracks or anything that can explain al the trouble I've had.

??????? don't know. might be interesting to check OHS resistence on the center electrodes, but does it really matter? if it's working okay now, just leave it alone.

Back