96 Explorer transmission issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer transmission issue

sonido08

Reaction score
I have a 96 Explorer 4.0 auto and I took my transfercase off in the driveway and got the chain replaced on it and got it back on and now my transmission won't shift in drive. I refilled the fluid and its at where I think it should be. I went through all the gears and took it out for a drive and it won't shift out of first in drive. It worked great before this... Its like -15 out and winter so its not fun. Anybody with any idea please help me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't touch the transmission at all other then taking the 5 bolts out of it to take the transfercase off. Didn't touch anything in the engine bay either other then replacing the battery. Thats why I'm stumped. I really don't know why it would do this.
Is there a possibility I put the transfercase back together wrong? That its stick in low the whole time. I did have all fours up and put it in 2wd and only the back tires spun though. And in 4lo all four spun.

Edit: Is it possible that the helical cam or ramp its called has broke or came away from the fork and is stuck in 4lo but when I switch the button inside the shift motor is thinking its turning it to 2wd but is actually shifting it to 2lo and not knowing showing everything is normal? Far fetched but I'm not totally sure how all this works. It feels like I'm in 2lo is the best way to explain it.

And when I turn the switch between 2wd to a4wd and to 4lo is there supposed to be any sign of it coming out? My dash light changes fine, no flashing or anything but feel or hear anything.

Well I went out and took the transfercase off and took it apart. It turns out it was the helical cam. The spring somehow came out of its original place behind the ramp and was hitting on the t-case as in the picture beside a good one. The rod would still turn and the shifter motor thought it was turning it but however it was stuck in 4lo. So when in 2wd it was actually in 2lo. Thanks alot.
ramp.jpg

Back