96 XLT, 100K miles 5.0 V/8 Trans questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 XLT, 100K miles 5.0 V/8 Trans questions

GeorgeR

Reaction score
City, State
SE FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Specs in the title.
I don't which trans I have. I know it's an auto OD. The data is supposed to be on the door frame according to Haynes, but it's not!
Anyway, I think it's time to change the atf. The dipstick says use MERCON.
What synthetic is best? Or should I stick with MERCON?
Does changing just the available fluid accomplish anything?
The trans pan says that it has a reusable pan gasket. Good or bad.
Is there a site that details pumping the old fluid out using the internal pump?
I'm sure that this stuff has been covered more than once, but everything I find seems to come up short on some issues.
I would like to have info that is specific to my truck: '96 XLT, 302 V8. 4 door, 4spd auto od trans, (I think) 100k miles. No trans problems yet. Current fluid isn't burnt.
Thanks a bunch!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a 4r70w. I'd use a Mercon v compatible synthetic fluid. Many people have used the pump out, and fill trans fluid change technique. If you don't starve the trans for fluid, it should be fine. The gasket can be reused if it doesn't look damaged, I don't know how much a replacement is. I wouldn't guess much.

I assume your V8 has a aux. cooler in front of the rad? If so just unhook the bottom hose, run it into a bucket, and have someone start the motor. You can mark the bucket in 1 qt increments and just pour new fluid into the dipstick hole with a funnel. If your careful you shouldn't make a big mess.

BTW, it's 2WD Sorry, I should have included that above
Thanks
GR

There's a plug on the bottom of the bell housing. Pull it, then bump the starter until the bolt that is in the torque converter is pointing down.

Undo that bolt and you'll get most of the tranny fluid out of the TC

That, along with dropping the pan, will do the whole system. Replace the filter and clean the magnet at the same time.

Use Mercon V

Anyone know what the capacity of the 4r70w trans is?

I've emptied the pan, changed out the filter, added almost 5 qts of Mercon V fluid. I can detect a slight burned odor, which I couldn't smell before.
I'm thinking of using the pump method as outlined by mbrooks.
How much can I pump out before adding new fluid??
Thanks guys been a big help. I'm used to a stick which is a piece of cake.
GR

Ditto above, and do drain the torque converter, that has two quarts that do not drain out of the pan. If you only do the pan and filter you will be lucky to get five quarts out. If you do the pumping and drain the TC, you might see ten quarts. The total is at least 12 quarts, there is a lot internally caught by the valve body that does not come out without dropping the VB. Good luck,

You pump it out as you pour it in. It's handy to have another person to get things, or start, and stop the motor. You should also have a nice funnel.

That's the second way I have heard of doing it. Others have suggested running the engine(after warmed up), just until the fluid is not pumped constantly. Either way does leave fluid up throughout the trans. If the fluid looks good to start with, don't try to get every bit of it. Just plan a fluid change in another year or so.

I guess that I'm a little slow today, (maybe every day)
Doesn't this fluid continuously recirculate throughout the trans?
It seems to me that if you dilute the old fluid enough that you would have clean fluid eventually. So far I haven't been able to get to the torque converter and I am flat sick of getting out and back under it! (I'm too damned old too) My primary helper is my wife, and she is useless for things like bumping the starter. She would end up running over me. That phase will have to wait until I can get one of my grandkids over here to help.

Oh, sorry, I laughed a little. The cost of Mercon V makes it expensive to not be very frugal with the fluid. When ATF was $1 per quart you could buy 15-20 quarts and pour it all in while pumping it out the cooler. Now at near $5 per quart, and Amsoil at $7, the cost can go up fast.

Do you have good sockets etc? I can use a 1/2" ratchet and 15/16" socket to turn the crank by hand, under the truck. You may get the drain plug available that way.

Yeah Don, I thought about doing that, but I was already whipped so I passed. The humidity has been a killer here lately so it doesn't take long for us old folks to wear out.
Anyhow, I've changed out the filter and put almost 5 quarts of new castrol merconv in the truck and that's going to have to do until the weather gets better. I just drove about 10 miles and it seems to shift fine and NO LEAKS at least so far.
This truck was fairly well taken care of before I bought it, so I hope it will last me without any major repairs for a while.
I also changed the engine oil and put in Mobil 1 which I have used since it came on the market with good results.
If prices for oil products keep going up, I'm going to start riding my bicycle.
Thanks
GR

Very good, I understand about the weather. We have had about two weeks worth of Spring/Fall weather, and four days of that since Wednesday. I've just bought a bunch of Amsoil products, the extra cost of the premium fluids can save more in mileage gains. Think of them for you later fluid tasks. I have been using Pennzoil synthetic until now, it's in the small group of middle quality synthetics. Regards,

Back