• Register Today It's free!

96 XLT 5.0 - A/C compressor test

ejscarfo

Reaction score
City, State
Islip, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
Well the warmer weather is finally here and I want to get the a/c system in my 96 working. I know the system is low as the compressor does not cycle when the a/c is switched on and when I put a gauge on the line, it reads low. I want to make sure the compressor clutch is still good as well.

In my Corvette there is a low pressure bypass switch I can ground and the compressor will cycle. Is there a similar switch on the Explorer? Without the compressor cycling, I can't install any refrigerant to check for leaks, correct?

Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bueller......Bueller.....

yes, near or on the accumulator dryer tank there is a two wire switch. You can jump that switch momentarily and the clutch will engage. Don't run the compressor with low freon though.

Also, you can put refrigerant in the system to check for leaks. You don't really need the compressor to run. Connect a can to the low pressure side, maybe put the can in warm water. The compressor may kick in when the pressure rises.

Also, look under the evaporator box for oil...on my 96 the evap got a hole and leaked out.

I actually found that switch and jumped the wires, the compressor didn't come on. I saw somewhere that there is another low pressure cut-off switch at the back of the compressor, but I haven't tried to jump it yet or for that matter run power directly to the compressor to see if it will engage.

I did fill the low side with 14oz of freon and nothing. It seems there has to be some major leak because it seemed to empty within an hour. I need to get the stuff with the dye in it so I can find the leak. Any suggestions?

Are you getting power to the connector on the compressor?

I have not tested the connector yet. However, if jumping the switch proves unsuccessful, wouldn't that mean there is no power going to the compressor?

I did fill the low side with 14oz of freon and nothing. It seems there has to be some major leak because it seemed to empty within an hour. I need to get the stuff with the dye in it so I can find the leak. Any suggestions?

I just got the a/c working on my 94 today (it never worked since I got it 2 years ago) I had the same issue, and put 12 oz of the UV dye in my system, plus a whole other can with NOTHING, no dye anywhere, pressure read zero!.. come to find out, all of everything was in the accumulator and the evaporator, one of the tubes on the evaporator had completely broken off.

cost to replace: $95 for new from Advance Auto (autozone had it for $85, but advance got it in in one day.)

Time consumed to replace: total for taking off, and installing new one, around 2 hours.

Don't forget the oil.

Back