• Register Today It's free!

A/C Compressor Cycling On and Off

Gettin2ndGear

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I have a 99 Explorer w/ 4.0 OHV Engine and the A/C compressor has started cycling on and off about every 5 seconds, I hooked up a Freon Gauge to it and when the compressor comes on the level is normal and when it turns off the level goes down to Low and as soon as the gauge hits low the compressor comes back on, Does this mean that it is low on freon? or should the gauge show low when the Compressor is not running?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have your defrost on when it's doing this?

Well if it's doing it when the a/c is on and if it does it when it hasn't been on long, its possible the compressor clutch is going out, I'm not aware of them throwing fits like that if the freon is low because when freon is low the compressor should run normally, pretty sure that they didn't have a freon monitoring system.

The low pressure(or high pressure) switch turns the compressor off when the pressure is out of range. The AC clutch will run until failure. Take it to an AC shop and ask them to check the freon level. Likely it needs a little freon, they will also confirm the pressure when the switch(sensor) is functioning. Good luck,

its most likely low on "freon".

Well I added some freon to it and it did not help, the weird thing is that if I turn the A/C On and turn the fan level all the way up to high the a/c clutch stays on like it is supposed to, but if I put the fan on any lower setting the clutch starts turning on and off again....... i really hope that I don't have to replace the compressor... I guess I will take it to a mechanic this weekend and get it checked out

I think it has to do with your refrigerant level or the pressure sensor itself. Have a A/C mechanic hook up his gauges and check it out. I had a guy do mine and he only charged me 20 bucks for the new switch.

My '01 Sport Trac is doing same thing.

My 2001 Sport Trac is doing the same thing in defrost mode and also the hi-lo mix. I don't think the A/C should even come on in the hi/lo.

I will be interested in hearing about your results

Sometimes in defrost mode it will run the a/c compressor (not sure of the reason) simple fix for that though would be to unplug the electrical connector going into the ac compressor.

My 2002 F-350 The A/C works in the Hi/Lo position also.
The reason for the A/C to run in Defrost mode, is that it acts as a de-humidifier. If your system is charged correctly it works great, I would not unplug the A/c Compressor, that is not a fix, that is just shutting off a system that really is helpfull.

Ok well maybe not a fix, but then the compressor wont kick on and off.

Back